Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Doc

I love my doctor. He's the best. Saw him this morning and he read the CAT scan report and said he agrees with me - he is pretty sure I did have a partial bowel obstruction and the 'full obstruction' had resolved by the time I got to the ER. So IF we end up responsible for a bill that's in the mid-four figures, I'll feel so much better about it. 'Cuz I really was 'ER level' sick....

I am doing all the 'right' things at this point - eating small, mild 'meals' at shorter intervals throughout the day. Avoid things that are hard to digest. Just stick with bread, rice, yogurt, cottage cheese, saltine or Ritz crackers, broth soups. No raw fruit or veggies. Not a lot of meat for now. It's a new way to eat...and I'd love to say I'm embracing it but the thought of coming home and attempting to fix dinner for everyone that I would then not be able to eat was not something I was looking forward to. So I agreed to H.'s request for Taco Bell. I had a small bowl of rice - no sauce, no cheese. And I still feel miserable. But it will pass. I should have just had white rice....I figured 'but how 'spicy' can TB rice really be if there's no sauce on it'? Apparently too. Oh well. Live and learn.

Made it through the day at work. Made an attempt to get through my 'in' basket. And my emails. And my voice mails. And meeting with my superintendent. And my team. And other people who stopped in....

I schlepped H. to and from school today - which is hard. I'm just not used to that 'time requirement'. If I wake up early and want to go in at 5 or 6, I do. But if I'm taking him, I can't. Or, I guess I could - I just need to go in and work for a bit and then schlep him and return. Maybe that's the key...just go, come back, and return. And do the same thing at 3 when I have to pick him up. A 5-7 minute drive became 20+ minutes because at 3PM, every school in the city is getting out and there's 2-4 school zones between my work and his school. Yikes! He was sort of 'irritated' that I didn't get there until close to 3:30. But I left shortly after 3 and it just took me FOREVER to get there....

I did not sleep much last night so I am heading to bed in just a couple hours, I think. I am tired today....

Oh, and another area to clean out this weekend....I am having a lot of itchiness and my doctor confirmed that it's likely due to the narcotic pain medication I received on Sunday. It's a common side-effect and when I said 'it can last three days?', he said 'yep!'. So he suggested an antihistamine - Benadryl is the first one I thought of and I said 'it makes me so sleepy'. He suggested Claritin. I stopped at home to pick up my lap top and lunch bag before heading to work and went into the medicine cabinet and viola! We have Claritin. I tear off a tablet at the perforation, peel back the cover and pop out the pill...and then I notice it expired in May, 2005.

I took it anyway. And I think it still helped - thus proving that expiration dates are usually meaningless? You be the judge. I will be culling the medicine cabinet this weekend and restocking with currently dated over the counter products. And I'll take a Benadryl tonight - sleep and anti-itch in one OTC. Such efficiency! And those ARE current!

3 comments so far. Will yours be next?

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...