Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dinner

The great thing about cooking Sunday dinner is......J. cleans up!

I had assistance from my sous-chef, H. who offered to assist me in dinner preparation in exchange for 2 hours out of the house. This was his school-work day - but he did get one assignment done completely and made progress on the other, including going to the city library for research material. I couldn't deny a kid who even said he'd wear a chef hat if I wanted him to - and then helped me make 'Crushed Potatoes', Rib Eye Steaks with Blue Cheese sauce, and Molten Chocolate Lava cakes with homemade whip cream! It was delicious! J. made a salad and we ate in the dining room - a belated celebration of B.'s 19th birthday yesterday. YUMMY!

He arrived home from Santa Barbara around 4PM and admitted that he didn't think he'd voluntarily be away from home again on his birthday - it just wasn't the same.

I reminded both kids there were plenty of chocolate cakes leftover for breakfast tomorrow! Hopefully, that will get H. out of bed on time.

I cleaned out the fridge from top to bottom. Also wiped out the pantry and tidied up shelves. Went grocery shopping, making liberal use of coupons and left with bags of food and two 12 packs of soda for only $35. YEAH ME! Even got two iced teas (2 for 1 coupon at the in-store Pete's) that I will save for work tomorrow - they are in the car and given the temp outside, they will still probably have ice in them in the morning! Especially 'cuz I plan to go in early.

I worked a couple hours yesterday - tidied up my office and got old items boxed up and ready for storage. I'll finish up my cleaning tomorrow morning early and then jump in to another busy, busy week.

It was a nice weekend - though we are sure ready for a bit more sun and warmth. Spring can't come soon enough. I've been spending time with my Park Seed Catalog, planning our garden! And I found an Orchard Supply coupon for 15% off one item, which I plan to use to buy a compost bin...taking my recycling efforts to a new level. I don't plan to start using kitchen scraps but we have plenty of leaves and grass trimmings to use. I'll look at what they have and see if I think it's worth trying.

We have coordinated schedules - J. is taking H. to school M&T&F and I will take him W&Th. Still carefully planning how to transport him where he needs to be since he is still not driving by himself.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...