Saturday, September 27, 2008

Mix

My sons are going to be the 'acting DJs' at my sister's upcoming nuptials (only three weeks away)! J. and I are working on creating 'mix' CDs and play lists for our iPods (yes, K., we think we would also like to have an MP3 hookup - hoping that isn't going to be the 'final straw' in your long list of things to do to prepare for that event) to play during the reception.

My husband is a decade older than I am and it is our respective tastes in music that highlight the age difference more than any other area. He is sitting behind me right this minute, creating play lists - and I am amazed at how much music he has on his iTunes list. It's a pretty broad, eclectic mix and much of it is PERFECT for a party. We are also purchasing a few standards - to ensure we have the 'classic' dance songs (like YMCA, Celebration, etc. ).

My husband's teen years were in the 60's - and sadly, that is the decade where I lost my father (I was six) and so that decade is not a 'happy memory' time for me. It is a sad, "life changed FOREVER" decade...and the music of that time holds 'bad feelings' for me that are impossible to put into words. When certain songs come on the radio, I cringe. Have a sick feeling in my stomach. J. has learned to 'know' this about me - and I rarely have to say the 'code word' ('bad memories') before he changes the station.

The mix we are creating for the party will have some of 'those' songs - a few scattered in here and there among lots of other good dance tunes.

It's going to be a great time. And while the 'bad memory' songs play, I can work on overwriting hard, uneasy memories with new, happy memories. I'll be with the three men in my life, and lots of other family to celebrate a very happy occasion. AND, God willing, I will be on vacation for a week after the event - spending time piddling around my home, which is a favorite activity. The boys are excited to be 'out of school' for an extended weekend. And B. is taking a long weekend off work as well, and he's glad for that break.

Good times, happiness all around. I can't wait. And the music (based on what I'm hearing behind me) is going to be GREAT!

1 comment:

DLB said...

To Majah's sister K (who is also my cousin): Congratulations! I wish you the very best.

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...