Sunday, September 28, 2008

Kids

I worked this weekend - I know, I know. But I couldn't help it - the last big fall hurdle starts tomorrow - auditors here. And since I'm attending a budget conference in Sacto all day tomorrow (postponed some five or six times - I lost count), I had some stuff to take care of. I got a lot done - and brought some stuff home to work on this evening and tomorrow evening. It will be a busy week.

I was in my office yesterday - and see a kid outside my window - on the parking lot side of the fence. The gate is locked. I think 'oh, he couldn't possibly be so stupid'. I went outside, stood at the end of the ramp up to my building, as I watched one of FIVE kids climb over the fence. As he landed, I said 'now you can climb right back over'. His friends (and he) were totally shocked. I said 'the car in the parking lot wasn't a 'clue' to you that climbing over THIS FENCE was a bad idea?'. They shrugged their shoulders. Kids with absolutely no analytical skills: 'there's a car in the parking lot = someone is here. Perhaps we should not climb over the fence' never seemed to enter their mind.

I gave them my usual 'when you climb over a fence to enter the school grounds, you are trespassing' and 'when the gates are locked, the campus is closed and you should not enter the premises' speech and sent them on their merry way. They skated in the parking lot for a bit and finally moved on. They shouldn't be skating there, either, but I knew they were just doing it to irritate me. It doesn't have anywhere near the great skate locations as the inside of the grounds does - and as expected, they headed down the street shortly. I fully expected to have to chase them off the school side of the property (the district offices are on one side of the grounds and the school is on the other) but thankfully, they didn't do that.

J. worked in the yard a lot today while I worked at work. He planted the flowers I bought last week to replace those we lost - and pruned and weeded a lot. He also went to Target yesterday and bought the last two 'deck boxes' they had in stock - the huge pool cover is now stored in those bins in the side yard. The garage is looking like we might actually get a car in their shortly. H. used the shop vac to vacuum and it's looking pretty good. J. also made a trip to Goodwill and recycling on Friday (he took 1/2 day off) and that helped the garage's condition immensely. AND, he's been doing massive amounts of laundry. Oh, and right this minute, he's cooking dinner!! Isn't he the BEST?

I don't know what to say about the economic bail out package. I'm not sure it's the right thing to do - I'm not sure we should be rewarding Wall Street and those that profited from the debacle by buying those bad loans. But I guess it's the right thing to do because we are headed for a free fall. I was rereading old blog posts - and in August, 2007, I commented on how a bank had required an influx of cash - and I thought that was odd. I think we've been on the brink of collapse all this time - and it's finally imminent. I certainly want to protect our retirement savings - we're too old to be starting over. So I hope the bail out does that. I really do. I don't want to work into my 80's.

We watched the Presidential debate and felt Obama 'won'. But we admit we're biased - so who knows. I don't like McCain - I think he came across as 'gruff' and disrespectful - and he was spinning the same spin he always spins. The reuse of his previous speeches really bugs me - the bracelet story comes up at virtually any opportunity he can think of to bring it up - and I just get tired of hearing him 'spin in the wind'. And we loved the Saturday Night Live opening sketch of the Palin/Couric interview. It was 'spot on' in content and Couric's response to Palin's ridiculous responses to the questions. Tina Fey has Palin DOWN - it was amazing to me how the speech patterns, inflections, tone, etc. are SPOT ON for Palin. I was out of the room when J. started playing it (it was on You Tube well before the show aired out our way) and asked him 'is that Palin?' And he said 'no, it's Tina Fey doing Palin'. It was a great sketch.

That's it for this weekend. I worked but did get some 'home time' in, which is nice. I did nap yesterday, which I needed. And I 'slept in' until 7 both days - which is actually hard for me 'cuz I'm wired to wake up at 5...and I did but went back to sleep. The little bit of extra sleep helps a lot and I feel 'better' - ready for a busy week.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...