Sunday, February 03, 2008

Super

I volunteered to help out at the 'coffee cart' at church. The bulletin said they were looking for helpers - two shifts. An early 'set up/serve' and a later 'serve/clean up'. And a good friend is the coordinator of the cart and she's a lot of fun so I said 'sure'. Little did I know that the three people pictured in the bulletin are IT - the full 'crew'. So helping out once in a while isn't what I just signed up for - it's pretty much an every Sunday thing. And it was from 8AM until noon, with time out to attend the 9:30 service. It was fun and good 'experience' for my post-retirement job as a barista at Starbucks. It's hectic and busy and a bit intimidating, which kind of surprised me. Like all things, it takes time to learn and feel comfortable. This week was watching and learning - next week is the 'real deal' - taking orders, making drinks, etc. Hopefully, they'll get more volunteers and then, like B. and J. playing on Sundays, it will be a 'rotation' thing that I can do once or twice a month instead of feeling like I must be there every week. On the good side, though, it did get me up and moving and that's a good thing. And it got me to church today and will have J. and the boys there at 9:30 also starting next week.

So that was my entire morning and I was in a bit of shock getting up at 6ish this morning - that is just not a Sunday morning thing. Home for lunch, then took a nap (didn't plan to but was really tired), then out to run some errands (bank, Target) then home to watch the end of the game. We had chili and cornbread for dinner - easy and filling. We were rooting for the Pats so we're a bit disappointed at the moment.

For lent, I'm going to try really, REALLY hard to give up food and stick with Medifast during the day. I do pretty well during the week - I'm too busy to eat out (ever) and when/if I run home for lunch, I just give Chloe a quick break and head back - to avoid the temptation of eating. But weekends are hard - waffles, etc. for breakfast and dinners out. But I'm going to try to be 'strict' for the weeks of Lent - again, hoping that 'transition period' will help make it an 'everyday' thing long term. Of course, we leave for Hawaii on Good Friday and it will be hard to be 'good' on vacation. But we'll try. We're packing shake packets, soups, etc. and will try to just eat out once per day. I hope we can stick with it as much as possible. We'll have easy breakfasts and lunches for the kids and then try to go out for dinner each night.

LOST was FANTASTIC! Can't wait for next week! And also starting next week, a new Survivor. Oh, and Trading Spaces with Paige (again!!) is just terrific. I've also been making good use of Netflix - watching 'Family Affair' and 'The Doris Day Show' disc by disc. Fun and floods me with memories. As soon as I finish a disc, I mail it back and a new one arrives in just a couple days. I'm forbidding the kids going to Blockbuster anymore - they forgot to return a movie and we were charged for it. Thankfully, they took it back and reversed the charge - except for a $1.25 service charge for 'restocking' the movie. So that's it. Any movie they want, we can get on Netflix - they just have to tell me and I'll add it to the que and move the movie to the 'top' of the list so it will ship next.

Happy Super Bowl Sunday! and have a great week, everybody. I'll try to do the same.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...