Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Cookies

It's that time of year - when the young ladies in green (or brown, depending on their age) knock on the door and hit you up for your annual order. And unlike years past, when the first little girl appeared, I used great restraint - I only ordered six boxes. Last year, when the first girl appeared, I sort of panicked thinking 'she'll be the only one' - and I ordered FOURTEEN boxes. And she was just the first girl last year. There were others. I lost count then, too. So I was pretty proud of myself....so very proud.

Then the next little girl came to the door - and she was as sweet as the first - so I ordered quite a few boxes from her, also. I actually now have no idea how many Girl Scout Cookies we should be expecting, but I know that 6 boxes are sitting on our kitchen counter. And I'm so glad because one young lady came by just a couple days ago carting her cookies in a wagon and asking me if I wanted to buy any and I hastily replied 'oh, no, I'm sorry, but I've already ordered so many'. And then I immediately regretted not buying some because 'heck, those would sure taste good and where are mine anyway'?? And then, we think she returned an hour or so later with one of our orders. I thought she looked familiar.

So far, I've only had three cookies - the peanut butter sandwiches, my 2nd favorite - one today at lunch and two last night after dinner. I haven't opened the Thin Mints yet - those are my absolute favorites. AND, I did not bring a box - or any boxes - into the study with me last night after dinner because I knew if I did, they would be eaten. And I would feel terrible later for having eaten so many. At some point in the evening, J. said 'may I have a cookie?' I replied sweetly 'sure, honey, they're in the kitchen'. He was as shocked as I was that I hadn't brought a box into our evening hangout but I said 'if I bring them here, I will eat the entire box - so I'm not doing that'.

We'll see how long that lasts. If this had been two weeks ago, when I felt ravenous all the time and craved really crappy food, and frequently could not stop myself from eating crappy food, I'd be doomed. But I've been 'good' the past week or so and it's somehow easier to resist. I enjoy a couple each night and one during the day - but I'm able to resist consuming entire tubes at a time - or worse, entire boxes at a time.

I just wish the other girl(s) I ordered from would show up soon 'cuz I already feel like we're going to run out any minute...and where are the caramel ones I know I ordered....and shouldn't I get some extra Thin Mints to freeze and get me through until next year....and.....

You get the picture. They are that special Spring treat that you can't wait for, hate to admit that you look forward to almost as much as Christmas or Spring Break....and when they're finally here, they are gone too quickly.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...