Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's

I told J. a few days ago 'no fuss, no muss' related to V-day expenditures. I wanted no delivered flowers; no candy; no gifts. It's not that I don't appreciate those things - I do. But to me, this day has come to mean so much more to me than just 'things'. That, and I'm frugal.

I sent J. an e-Valentine's card last night to be delivered today. I also sent my sister a card - and this morning, from a completely different company than the company I sent mine from - I got the same card back from her - we picked the same card for each other. Isn't that cool? I just think that is so neat.

So this morning, I head downstairs and find a lovely card on my computer - from J. And I leave him one (paper card) on his chair. I had a meeting at one of our school sites first thing this morning, so I lingered at home a bit longer than usual.

Long enough to get the frantic call from H. telling me 'we're having trouble with the car'. My first thought - after I said 'are you safe? Stay in the car and have B. call the auto club - the number's on the back of the card he has that I hope is in his wallet' - was 'oh my gosh, this is going to cost a fortune to fix'. But thankfully, there was nothing mechanical involved. The kid ran out of gas. Twit. He thought he had enough to make it to school - though the light has been on for DAYS and he's been driving to the golf course everyday after school 'cuz he's trying out for the golf team. So I'm worried about the kids, and getting a bit frantic - have to arrange to call the school because B. will be late - and have to get H. to cross the street safely and get to school NOW - and have to explain to B. what to do if they send a tow truck and re-explain where to have them take the car if indeed, it does need repairs [since at first, we weren't sure it was just an 'out of gas' situation vs. a 'it's 8 years old and it may have just bitten the dust' and have to get a hold of J. to have him coordinate all of this on his way to SF on the BART train 'cuz I have to leave. I was a bit frazzled. I had no time to get my usual Starbucks beverage. I barely had time to get to the school by the meeting time (where I ended up waiting around for 1/2 hour for everyone else who was supposed to attend to GET THERE - why can't people get to a meeting that's been planned well in advance ON TIME?). I get into my car and find a small 'balloon on a stick' with 'I love you' on it tucked into the cup holder.

I love this man. I love him in ways I can't put into words. I love him because even when I tell him not to make any fuss, he still figures out a way to surprise me. And finding that surprise still makes my heart all fluttery, even if this is our 20th (WOW, I can't believe that many years has gone by) year of celebrating this celebration of love.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...