Sunday, December 23, 2007

Culling

The garage has yielded treasures. Funny how the same things you've seen time and time again somehow become treasured this time around. Including a beautiful silver box from J.'s folks. I polished it and it's just beautiful. I'm using it in the bedroom to hold 'trinkets'. There are so many other silver pieces - serving trays, tea pots, etc. I'm looking for the silver polish you can just dip things into - vs. rubbing and rubbing, ending up with black hands, an assortment of black towels and streaks on my clothes and face from the tarnish.

I've also found 20 year old tax returns (now shredded), several bins of Beanies (they just never completely go away, though it seems like I've been giving them away FOREVER - will be making a donation trip to Shepherd's Gate in Livermore on Wednesday to deliver the beanies, along with a bunch of Bionicles that H. has finally agreed to part with), lots of housewares that I had decided I didn't need but ended up bringing in the house, running them through the dishwasher and they are now safely stored in the baking cupboard under the oven. We've emptied many boxes, bins, etc. There is concrete floor showing now, which has been rare in recent months/years. Progress.

H. has this 'thing'. He doesn't want to part with things. Even though he doesn't play with them anymore - and in some cases, like the Bionicles that are still unopened, he's never played with them - but he hasn't wanted to give them up. I tossed a Chuck E. Cheese bowl full of marbles and he teared up at the thought. Said 'you gave away a part of my childhood'. Yikes, that hurt. He's hard to figure out lately - he's at the age of wanting to be completely left to his own devices yet still gets upset that I'm parting with toys he hasn't played with for years. He shaves, for crying out loud. There's still a huge box of Pokemon cards in the garage that he will not let me give away or toss. He says he wants to sell them - but I point out they're not exactly 'in' anymore and it's unlikely he'll find anyone who wants to buy them. Still, he won't let them go. So on a shelf, they sit. Beckoning to be parted with. Guess I'll have to wait until he goes to college and finally moves into his own home someday and then I'll try to get him to take them with him after a Sunday dinner.

J. made a trip to the library and one of our local thrift shops on Friday. Still more trips to make but we are making progress. All the 'garage sale' items are quickly leaving - and I'm posting the 'like new' gas dryer on Freecycle.org and letting someone have it. Could try to sell it but want it out of the garage ASAP and giving it away will ensure that will happen quickly.

Starting tomorrow (in between last minute shopping, wrapping, grocery shopping, cooking, etc) on closets.

Had a wonderful breakfast with N. on Friday - great fun and nice to see her. Realized I haven't seen her since her wedding - and she cut off TWELVE INCHES of her long hair. Donated it to the folks who make wigs for kids going through chemotherapy. It was great catching up with her and sharing a great meal. We both tried to order oatmeal - for about 30 seconds - and then we ended up eating a full on huge breakfast. It was my lunch AND dinner, so I didn't feel too bad - and it was really good!

Hard to believe that tomorrow is Christmas Eve. The days fly by. It does feel great to be writing this on a late Sunday evening and realizing I still have TWO FULL WEEKS off. Though they will go by quickly and some days are already 'committed' with lunches, a bit of time at work and too many house projects to list. Including culling out the pantry, which is the next big project after the garage is looking better.

Merry Christmas, everyone. Remember: Jesus is the Reason for the Season. We bought a pumpkin pie for Christmas dinner dessert, though I was kind of tempted to bake Jesus a birthday cake. Maybe we'll make a cake later in the week for His continued celebration.



No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...