Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Opposites

There's always a point each Christmas, usually around Christmas Eve - when I'm ready for it to be over. Done. Finished. For another year, at least. The kids are on our nerves. On each other's nerves. They bicker constantly. Argue over the silliest things. And are so 'want-filled'. H. continued with his list of 'needs' long after I'd given up on using my death glare to convey my exhaustion at his never ending listing of things he says he needs. Current list includes pants and silk boxers. Yes, silk - or silk like. And I admit we did get him a few pairs of those for Christmas and they cost (for ONE PAIR) the same as a 3 pack of good old fashioned Hanes boxers.

Church was lovely. And very crowded. Felt great to see the church 'full' like that and I don't remember last year being anywhere nearly as 'full'. The candlelight was beautiful and the sermon was great. And Pastor K. waited with J. and the kids outside (I was visiting with a friend in the lobby) to be sure he got to say hello to me - which was nice. He's been here just over a year now and the church is growing leaps and bounds, largely due to him. He's just great.

J. did all the wrapping this year - only one 'code' error which resulted in me receiving and unwrapping a pair of ski socks which were actually for H. A quick switch resolved the problem. J's a huge help with the wrapping, etc. and I'm so lucky to have such a great helper. I shop; he wraps.

And then, it's Christmas morning. And after stockings, we head downstairs for the grand opening. And it was grand. And the house is full of love and laughter and thanks and hugs all around. Even the boys said 'I love you' TO EACH OTHER as they were unwrapping their gifts from each other. It was a fun morning. In spite of B. having some kind of stomach bug that had him up at 4AM sick to his stomach and required a hasty '5 minute break' from unwrapping this morning while he urped again. But he seems a bit 'better' now.

Santa blessed us with many things - including a Cuisinart Pannini Grill (which I used to cook breakfast - FANTASTIC hash browns!) and Sephora and jjill gift cards for me (can't wait to head to Stoneridge later this week). The boys also received gift cards and cash and golf clubs and a Nintendo Wii which is a blast. J. has been playing tennis, golf and bowling all morning - and while it's not like running a marathon, it is physical activity that does get us up and moving. So it's a good thing. The boys were so surprised and excited. They love Christmas and this year was no exception. Oh, and Santa brought me Season 1 and 2 of Hazel - from my childhood. So fun to watch these shows that I remember watching when I was little. Just hearing the theme song brings back memories.
Chloe got several toys, including a teeny tiny stuffed carrot which excited her so much, she ran laps around the kitchen with it in her mouth. Over and over. Got herself so tired and 'hot' that she walked around panting for quite awhile. She was so excited by her new toys and had a ball running around with us.

During my growing up, we spent Christmas running around everywhere. Christmas Eve at my aunt's house. And most Christmas days driving to or from somewhere. Our Christmases are just us - quiet and fun and 'easy', relatively speaking. A ham dinner is in the oven, sparkling cider waiting. Pumpkin pie in the fridge. It's an easy, quiet day - and I just love it - just spending the day piddling around, mostly in PJs until it's time to finally get dressed for 'dinner'. I love that we just cocoon during Christmas day. Love that we don't have to go anywhere or do anything. Sometimes, I wish for more family nearby - to visit with and spend time with. But on days like today, when we're just enjoying time with each other - and the kids are, miraculously, taking a break from their bickering - it's just the way I like it.

It's time to get dinner cooked - au gratin potatoes and rolls and green bean casserole.

Wii wish you a Merry Christmas!!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...