Monday, July 02, 2007

Travel

I am heading to Arizona on Friday by myself. A rare and wonderful event, for sure, since traveling as a singleton is certainly easier than traveling as a family of four. And I will be spending the weekend with my zany, fun, lovely sister K. who I can't wait to see and party with and visit with. It's going to be a great time - time with her always is.

However, I am freaking out - because that's what I do before I put myself on a plane and fly anywhere. There are so many things I should write down for J. so that in the 'unlikely event we experience a sudden decrease in cabin pressure', etc., and I don't return in one piece, he'll know what to do. I know he'd manage fine - but there are a lot of 'things' that I worry he'll forget. Like:

The pets need water. Not just food. Water. Everyday. Without fail.

Turn off the light in your closet. Double check 'cuz you seem to be leaving it on frequently.

The various passwords I've set up for online bill pay; online access to all of our accounts. I have a document that shows them all but then THAT document is password protected as well - so where do I put that password? In yet another document with still another password? (You see how I can make myself crazy with this stuff?)

And don't even get me started on the kids. I mean, if anything were to (God forbid) happen to me, there would be three males unattended in this house. I can't even think about it. I know they would be fine. They would. But would they bathe? Buy food? Ever mop the kitchen floor? The list is endless. And then add to that all the 'life' things I want to impart before I leave their lives.

I know - it's ridiculous. You can only imagine what I went through last summer when we went to Hawaii for 10 days - all of us. I had to be absolutely sure that clear instructions were left for whomever arrived at our house post-tragedy. That and ensuring the baseboards were cleaned.

It's crazy, I know. I will in all likelihood have a wonderful trip and arrive home safely as scheduled. And I know that when your time is up, it's up. I could just as easily slip on something left in my garage and whack my head on the cement and be gone - and I CERTAINLY don't think about that everyday.

It's just something about getting on a plane, I guess. And leaving the 3 most important people in my entire life. And I know they will be OK for the weekend and would be for longer, if that's Gods plan - they are all smart, resilient, kind and loving and they would make it through without me no problem. Kind of like William and Harry only without all the pomp and circumstance. But still....

God, keep me and those I love safe. Thank you and amen.

1 comment:

Jim said...

If NOTHING ELSE gets cleaned, the baseboards will.

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...