Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Goodbye

My aunt's visit was fantastic! Fun, soulful, happy. I enjoy her company so much - always have - and now that I'm an adult, we just continue to pick up where we left off. It was a great weekend. We went to the
Megan Slankard concert at Cedar Mountain Winery in Livermore on Saturday evening - Megan has another fan. And unlike last year, the weather was perfect - coolish, not hot. We had a Trader Joe's feast and enjoyed a wonderful evening.

And we managed to get motivated enough to head to Santa Cruz on Sunday for the day. Took C. and K. with us so we had FOUR teenage boys to enjoy. They spent the day ogling the 'eye candy' and counting the numbers of 'hot' girls. I learned a lot - only 'hot' girls get a number, so they saw a lot more girls than they 'rewarded' with a numeric acknowledgement. It was fun and amusing to watch the four of them egg each other on - trying to get B. to go talk to a girl in a yellow polka dot bikini near us. Trying out lines like 'you look hungry. Want some Nillas?' (Nilla Vanilla Wafers). It was a fun time.

The weather was gorgeous - a bit foggy when we first got there but it burned off quickly. If you stayed under the umbrella, it was a bit too cool - and in the full sun, it was a bit too warm. And I have a sunburn, in spite of trying so hard to avoid it. My forehead felt like dried leather on a spit - and my left knee is fried. Guess it was in the sun more than the other.

We didn't ride any rides - just walked the Boardwalk. HAD to get some taffy from Marini's but resisted the other temptations - like Fried Twinkies. Headed home after about 4 hours on the beach - enjoyed a picnic lunch we'd brought from home - leftovers from the concert the night before. We hit a Starbucks on the way home and were home by 6. Tired, sandy, and glad to be home. Then, K. invited H. to spend the night, so we only had one boy home for the evening.

Spent Monday hanging out at home. Went to Barnes and Noble where she treated us to a couple cool books - "Autobiography of a Yogi" and "The Hidden Messages in Water". Can't wait to read them. Then we had dinner at Olive Garden - yummy!

This morning, she and J. left for the BART station at 5:30. J. got her on the AirBart bus from the Coliseum station and he managed to be at his desk before 8. As they pulled out of the driveway, I got a huge lump in my throat - missing her already. Massachusetts is just too dang far away from California. I'm hoping she'll come out again next summer (if not sooner) and she wants us to come there. We talked and talked and both are now fascinated with 'little houses', which is another post for another evening.

I brought work home this evening to try to wind my way through. The year-end activities are complex and mysterious and while I am moving forward, the days are full of many 'steps back' as well. Still, it's going well and I'm feeling 'happy', which isn't something I thought I'd ever feel just a few months ago. The work is good and challenging and rewarding and the people are getting more and more fun everyday. So that's good.

J. and B. are heading to church for rehearsal - they both play this weekend. And H. is manning the projector at the 11AM service so I'll be in the pew alone. Glad to be able to sleep in, though! for an extra hour or so. LOVE going to the 11 o'clock service though it means 1/2 the day is over when the service ends.

The kids are frantically working on their summer reading and assignments. Of course, they've put it all off until the last two weeks. No matter how much we remind, beg, plead, scold, cajole - they still wait until it's a 'HAVE TO'. I guess they're kind of like me in that regard - when the you-know-what hits the fan, I can process an incredible amount of work in a very short time frame. I just have to be properly motivated - usually by the 'oh my gosh, I honestly cannot put this off another minute or else'. They come by their procrastination honestly. It's genetics, I believe.

AND, we brought Dani and Chloe home from their weekend at the 'dog spa'. Well, it wasn't really a spa but we try to convince them it was. There was no happier sight for me than watching them both running towards me full tilt down the hallway at the kennel - smiling the entire way. Dani at the sound of my voice and Chloe upon seeing me. They were so happy to be home - and headed immediately outside (like lightening, honestly) to piddle. Then settled in the chair (Dani) and kennel (Chloe) for a bit of rest. After drinking lots of water. I don't think they sleep very well away from home so they'll spend a couple days catching up. We missed them and next time my aunt comes, we're going to leave the dogs at home. It's just not 'home' without them.

Miss you already, Aunt M. So glad you were able to come and visit. The boys and J. loved getting to know you and I just loved seeing you. Thanks for the books! and for spending time with us. Please, please DO come back soon!

Love,

Majah

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...