Sunday, July 08, 2007

Party

The party was a smashing success! The butterfly theme was predominant - from the butterfly shaped sandwiches (deviled ham and chicken salad - much meaning in those selections given the dissolution of an over 30 year marriage) to the butterfly cake (which I decorated with my sister's help - she's crafty, I sadly, am not - but she taught me how to trace a pattern and make a stencil) and while it was not symmetrical, it was lovely anyway and delicious to boot. And butterflies throughout the house - napkins in butterfly shapes, hanging on the walls, etc. Her neighbors are all absolutely lovely - and honestly, made living in an 'active adult' retirement community seem like so much fun - just full of nice people, all watching out for each other. K. has instant friends who watch her every move (which is lovely though offers some challenges). We had a great time and were busy, busy from morning till night.

Her new 'friend' was there and I have to say, he seems lovely as well. He mingled well - and isn't that a good sign when a guy can be invited to a party full of people he doesn't know and he manages to join in and make conversation, laugh a lot, etc. He is obviously enchanted with my sister - which doesn't surprise me because she is enchanting in many ways. But, this is her very first 'post-divorce' relationship so it is just so 'scary' to see it moving at lightening speed. But she's cautious and careful and has no intention of being swept off her feet. Or at least thinks she doesn't. Still, it's pretty hard not to be swept when the guy doing the sweeping is sweet and nice. So I'm holding my breath and wishing her well in this new 'friendship'. He called first thing this morning - like he'd been sitting by the phone since the crack of dawn, just waiting until 8 AM and was finally able to call just after 8. And she met him for yet another lunch. Fun, I'm sure, and now I'm obsessively checking my emails for an update.

The flight home was delayed - plane was from DFW and there are thunderstorms there today. I did my 'angel' routine - the two young girls seated next to me both were horribly airsick. The younger one pretty much slept the entire way - though she did start throwing up as soon as we landed. Her older sister (sitting next to me) was sick the entire trip - and so I held her head, offered cold towels, sips of ginger ale and 7-up, comfort, distraction - anything I could think of. And when she was throwing up, I held her long hair out of the way and gave her a cold towel to wipe her face with. She was so sweet and such a nice young lady - 13 years old and beautiful - and a great conversationalist. Her parents were refugees from Bosnia who went to Denmark, where she was born. They moved to Dallas where her younger sister was born. They were on their way to Hawaii for vacation - so she was most definitely not looking forward to another 5 hour flight. I suggest Dramamine to the mom as we left the plane - she was sweet and grateful for my help and thanked me a zillion times, as did the flight attendants. Funny how I can't handle it with my kids - but with two strangers, it was do-able.

Glad to be home and anticipating a busy week at work, as always.

K, I'm checking your blog shortly and sure hope you're writing!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...