Wednesday, June 13, 2007

SPAM

I'm about to disclose something so horrific, it will probably alienate most of my readers. Which is 4-5 people - but they are 4-5 people I care a lot about and their opinion of me matters a lot. But, an important facet of blogging is that you're putting yourself out there - warts and all. And your readers, whether a few or zillions, get to make their own judgments about your and you have to trust them to judge carefully.

As part of our Medifast diet, we eat one 'lean and green' meal a day. Two sometimes - if I'm invited out to lunch, I'll eat a salad and might have another salad for dinner. By the time I get home for dinner - especially after these 'late' nights I've been working lately - I am famished. We have been cooking beef or chicken and having that on hand to add to the salad. But I've been looking for 'other' meats we can add to salad. And in the dark recesses of our 'garage stock' - the cabinet we keep our 'emergency' supplies in - you know, in case of an epidemic, natural disaster, etc. - I found SPAM which we bought at Costco.

Yes, it's true. I love SPAM. Me, and apparently, the entire state of Hawaii who consume massive quantities of the stuff in every available flavor. It was just in the news this week that Burger King is now offering SPAM with the various breakfast foods on their menu in Hawaii.

I have loved SPAM for as long as I can remember - one of my 'favorite' dinners as a kid was a block of SPAM with mustard and brown sugar poured over top and baked for a bit - served with Kraft Mac 'n Cheese. Delicious. I can still remember that taste.

I didn't smother the SPAM in sugar - was tempted but resisted because sugar is a 'no' as much as I can possibly resist. But I did have a slice of SPAM last night and this evening, Jim cubed up some and added it to my salad. No, it's far from 'lean' - at least not as lean as I should eat - but hey, when you're living on 100 calorie packets of soups and shakes and eating one meal a day, I figure I can spare the 'fat'. I'm still consuming far fewer calories than in my 'normal' day, prior to Medifast.

We offered some to H. to try and he shuddered at the thought. I said 'it's just ham - it's just 'smushed together pieces'. Yeah, right.

And, just to get it all out in the open - I love Vienna Sausages, also. Deviled Ham, too. Only I don't have any of those in my pantry. Yet. But I do draw the line and would never consume anything called Potted Meat. No way.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...