Friday, June 22, 2007

Planning

We finalized a Spring Break trip to Kauai in March, 2008. We've rented a two bedroom condo with ocean views. Looked into using frequent flyer mileage but because it's during Spring Break, it will be 70K miles for one ticket - so we have enough for 2 and then will have to buy two. But we made reservations on ATA - $450 each round trip AND from Oakland instead of SFO, which saves over an hour of driving time. The 4 tickets cost us just slightly more than 2 would have on United - so we will save our mileage for when the kids are in college and we can actually go somewhere on a more 'spur of the moment' basis - can't wait for that. We're looking forward to the trip - we didn't take any 'vacation' this year because of my new job and B. being in summer school. So we'll be more than ready for 8 days of R&R on the beach. The kids want to go scuba diving and surfing. I want to sail, go to a luau and spend a lot of time just enjoying being so near the ocean. I'm already looking into buying 'rash guard' shirts for all of us - so when we go sailing or diving or are just hanging out, we will be protected from the sun. No repeat of the seriously SERIOUS sunburn I got on our trip to Maui last year. No way.

B. is enjoying his 'freedom' - driving to and from school, to friends houses for band practice. Also to music lessons and the orthodontist. That was really cool - neither of us had to arrange to take him. There's a lot to be said for independence. It's nice to have fewer 'errands' to run or places to be, now that he's driving himself.

We're taking care of the D. family dog and we're pretty worried about him. He's been in failing health for some time and he is really not well. When I went to get the key, S. said they've taken him to the vet and there's not anything to be done - he's not doing very well. He is the sweetest dog - and so weak at the moment that his back legs are failing and he ends up on the ground and not able to get himself back up. They will be home on Sunday and until then, I'm just worried about him. J. has been going over to check on him 'cuz I'm afraid to have me or B. go for fear the dog will be gone. I just hope he's OK until Sunday when they get home. He is eating well, drinking, peeing, pooping - but he's getting weaker everyday. Sad to see.

We have no plans this weekend, which is a rare thing. B. is playing drums again at two services on Sunday morning - but other than that - oh, and H. is going to a birthday party on Saturday afternoon - we have no plans. I'm hoping to work on the house, the yard, take a nap or two and enjoy a little rest. I may go to work for a bit - but probably not. I have a lot of filing to do, but it can wait - I'll have time next week to do that stuff and K. will help me.

It's been a busy and productive week. I accomplished a lot and I feel really good about that. My boss complimented me on my work and said he was proud of me - he knows I've been a nervous wreck about the budget but it came together fine and he was pleased with my presentation packet for the Board meeting this coming week. I'm just glad to have it 'done' - and now can move on to the next big job - closing the year out.

The college job closes on Monday and at the moment, I am not planning to apply. I conveyed that info to my former boss last week before he left for a weeks vacation - and he was not happy. He said 'but I need you'. And I said 'it's just not the right time - and I'm starting to like what I'm doing'. Staying put feels right, for now.

Goodnight and sleep tight. Say a prayer for Klaus, the world's sweetest Labrador.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...