Friday, June 15, 2007

Official

B. is now a licensed driver. I was on the phone with J. asking how it went when he said 'well, he's on his way to C's house' and then I saw him. Driving solo. I honked my horn several times, lightly, so I didn't scare him and gave him the thumbs up sign as he passed. Then, I waited a few minutes until I knew he was safely there and called his cell. Told him I was so proud of him. J. said the DMV person said he was the best test she'd had all day and he was a pleasure to drive with. YEAH! He only got one point 'off' - and he was 'allowed' up to 15. So he did great. He's so excited and proud of himself and he loves his 'car' - J's old car, but a pretty decent car for a new driver. So he's mobile and can now run errands, etc. Looking forward to sending him to the grocery now and then. And best of all - he can get himself to and from summer school since dropping him off and picking him up mid-day is something I'd prefer to avoid for the next 5 weeks. It's a traffic jam nightmare and takes far longer than I imagined. So now he can drive himself!!!

Then we called our insurance company and I am now frantically trying to figure out where our monthly budget will find the additional $200/month it will cost to insure him. We'll find it somewhere. We always manage, somehow. I'm getting another raise in July - a 'step' on the salary schedule - we were going to put more in J.'s 401K and we still will, but I'll reserve a bit of that raise for the 'new' insurance bill. Can't imagine how we'll find another $200 in 2 years when H. starts driving. Yikes. Thankfully, H's braces (Phase 2) will be paid for in another 8 months and that will free up some monthly outgo as well. So it's all good.

My baby is growing up. He's driving now. And he wants to get a job, too. For some 'pocket' money and also to help with the insurance expenses. I think it's noble of him to want to help - but school comes first and I think we should wait and see how his first quarter of school goes in the fall before he adds juggling a job to his schedule. We'll see.

Congratulations, B. I'm very proud of you - you are a good, careful driver. Stay safe. I love you.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...