Friday, June 01, 2007

Frogger

This morning, as I briefly tidied up the kitchen before heading out the door, I glanced over at the 2 gallon hexagonal shape aquarium on the breakfast bar to check on Frogger. I have done this every day for the almost 10 years we've had Frogger and usually find him 'hanging out' - legs barely touching the bottom, head pointed toward the water surface and 'arms' dangling slightly in front of him ready to spring into action at any moment. Frogger frequently fakes me out - he can remain perfectly still for extended periods of time - non-responsive to slightly jiggling the tank, roughing up the water surface, or even adding food to the water. I have thought him to be dead so many times that I've stopped worrying about it....realizing that one day, when he was really dead, I'd eventually figure it out.

Frogger is an African aquatic frog - his body is about the size of a quarter when his legs are drawn in. We bought him at Walgreen's one evening on our way home from the kids school - and this was way back when we lived in Hayward. He was sold in one of those then popular small plastic 'cubes' - like the kind to display Beanie Babies - and the small pamphlet included said he would live quite happily in his 'aquascape' container for a few years. But that wasn't good enough for him and I quickly invested in a small aquarium, filtered the water and even heated it for a time with a heater. Over the years, I realized that he was used to living in a swamp so I eliminated the filter. I also eliminated the heater - in the winter, I'd just leave the light on for him and in the summer, I'd leave it off and he'd get enough sun from the sliding doors out to the yard that he'd be fine.

Frogger lived 10 years with us. He had a healthy, plentiful diet with no predators; fresh spring water as needed. When I changed his tank water, he'd let me scoop him out of the tank with my hand, place him carefully in a glass of fresh spring water, wait patiently for me to finish cleaning his tank and then enjoy the 'slow pour' ride back into his lush home. He always got 'spring water' - never tap water because we have a water softener and I didn't think a 'mineral free salt-softened water' was good for him...so I bought gallons of spring water and in times when I didn't have a gallon around, I'd use Crystal Geyser drinking water. If the water was too cold from being in the garage, I'd heat it briefly in the microwave, wait for it to cool, triple test the temperature to make sure it wouldn't be too much of a 'shock' for him and then I'd put him back in. He was indulged in many, many ways.

As he aged, he had a harder and harder time swimming up to the surface of the tank for gulps of air - so I gradually lowered the water height until it was only about 3 inches deep. I think this approach is at least partly what kept him alive so long - he didn't have to work too hard to get to the surface for air and he always had plenty of food. But Frogger has been showing signs of age - he hasn't looked 'good' for some time and I've been pretty sure he was on his last legs. Pun intended.

I was right. This morning, he was flipped over on his back, completely and totally spread eagled and white. I knew. He was really, truly gone this time - no doubt. No need to shake the tank or try to entice him with food - he was dead. It was briefly sad. And then a relief - one less pet to care for. One less chore on my list of chores. And then I was sad again.

But he lived a great life with us - and he was so amusing, so many times. He knew I was the 'food lady' and when I'd be in the kitchen and go over to his tank, he'd sort of 'perk up' a bit - raise himself up a bit higher toward the surface to be ready to catch the pellets. He was a character and we enjoyed having him around - and we will miss him a lot.

1 comment:

Jim said...

RIP-it! Goodbye Frogger

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...