Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Laces

H. has a thing for shoes. He wants another pair and has spent many minutes of the past few weeks trying to convince us he needs a new pair. Because apparently shoes are for very 'different' activities - and a pair of perfectly good basketball shoes that set us back $80 during basketball season (which lasted all of 8 weeks) are to be ONLY worn during the activity of basketball. Walking, needing something to protect your feet from heat, cold, moisture and save socks aren't enough reasons to wear those shoes. THEY are to be worn only for basketball. Which he does play with friends after school most days so he does wear them. But he comes in and changes into them and out of them most days. So he is wearing them. Just not as everyday shoes.

So his birthday is day after tomorrow. And I've been at work early (6:30 this morning) and staying late (after 8 the past two nights, though yesterday was dinner with a friend so it was fun but still a long, LONG day) and therefore, have done very little shopping. He has researched various components of a skateboard he wants - and a ready made skateboard is no longer OK - it has to be a specific board, specific bearings, trucks, wheels, etc. I made it home today just after 4 (a full day of back to back meetings which resulted in me not eating anything since 8 AM this morning nor having any liquids all day either left me exhausted and with a raging headache so I gave myself a 'break' and left after only a 10 hour day today) and took H. to our local board shop - aptly named The Board Authority. The clerk there confirmed that all the components H. had selected will work together so we will order the components tonight and the shop will put the board together for us when everything gets here.

While we were there, H. saw a pair of board shoes he wanted - and a new Famous shirt - so for his surprise (which now isn't), I treated him to the pair of shoes and the shirt. The board won't be here for a few days and then the shop will have to put it together - so he won't have much to 'open' on his big day. So a few treats for his special day - and I still have to get to Target tomorrow to get him a PS3 game he also asked for.

The shoes came out of the box not laced - and it took me two tries to get them 'right'. Seems there is a technique to lacing board shoes - the laces have to go 'over' the top of opening and then through - not coming 'up' through and then back and forth - they have to be 'over' the edge of the 'eye' section. AND THEN, he tucks the 'tie' underneath the tongue of the shoe - so the 'tie' part doesn't show on the top of the shoe - it's tucked inside. It looks like it would hurt the top of his foot but he insists it's fine. It was a time consuming process and I was pretty patient. I didn't want him to end up buying shoes he won't wear - and he was so excited that they also came with a pair of bright red laces. I can't believe he's going to use them - but he says he will. His tastes are so mercurial.

His graduation from 8th grade is a week from his birthday. He wants a stereo for his room and that will be his grad gift. I will hope to make it to Target over the long weekend - if not, I'll resort to giving him graduation cash and he can get the stereo next weekend.

He's growing up. He's a sweet, loving, good-hearted kid who's popular with the ladies and also with most adults. He's well mannered, helpful and a kind soul. And funny and too cute for his own good. He has me wrapped around his little finger - he always has and probably always will. He has a 'look' he gives me and it still melts me, even though it's now coming from a youth who towers over me. I love him with all my heart - a heart that bursts with pride when I see him. He is an amazing young man and I'm so, so proud of him. And I can't believe my baby is going to be 14.

Tempest fuget.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...