Sunday, May 20, 2007

Confirmed

So H. is now also a member of St. Paul's Lutheran Church. He made an appropriate slightly 'ucky' face when he tasted the wine at his First Communion. It was a blessed day. J. played bass and had a 'solo' - I was so proud. We had a very nice breakfast at the church for the conifirmands and their families. Then into the church. After the services, we partied at the D. family's house with lots of friends - most of whom we know since we spent New Years Eve with them and have interactions frequently 'cuz of the kids. H. and their son K. will graduate 8th grade in a couple weeks and we'll be partying there again, no doubt. It's lots of fun and I always marvel at how gracious and talented our hostess is. She always makes it all look so easy - and she never seems stressed or nervous. I never feel that 'comfortable' when I have a house full of people. But she makes it look so easy.

J. and I also took a big step toward our health - we signed on for Medifast. It's one of the diets J.'s doctor recommended and so we've submitted our first order. We know it will be hard but we're determined and doing it together will help. I need a jump start to losing some weight - something that Weight Watchers doesn't give. Too much figuring out what to eat, how many points, etc. I just need to have the food in front of me and know how many to eat and when. Medifast fits that to a tee. One of the friends we see at church and saw today at the party has lost 30 pounds and she looks fantastic. So we're signed up.

The kids each received confirmation 'cash' from us - B.'s is a bit 'late' since he went through the 'confirmation' process in the adult weekend retreats. They thanked us profusely for the money and then promptly told us what they are spending it on - which we're not happy about, but it is their money. B. wants (yet another) pair of sunglasses. H. wants to buy a pair of black sneakers. Which he already has. A pair that he 'had to have' for basketball that just sits. He doesn't wear them since basketball is over. So he will spend his gift on shoes. I don't get it. It disturbs me greatly to hear them planning to spend money on things that have no 'need' in their requirement. They're going to just 'blow it'. Irritates me. But the money was a gift and it is theirs, so I will express my displeasure and let them do what they want with it.

I am going to hit my 'work' stack shortly. I am so far behind. Scares me. Must get caught up - only since I'm not completely clear what all it is that needs to be done, it's a bit challenging. But I'll figure it out. Or die trying.

Happy Sunday. My son's are 'connected' to their faith in a way I never was as a teen and I'm strangely proud of that. And happy for them. And feeling more blessed than ever.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...