Sunday, June 26, 2016

Change of Plans

J.'s been looking into renting a car during our Las Vegas trip.  What started with one or two days is now the full time we're there because a weekly rate is so much less than a daily rate.  The Mirage has an Avis desk - and they wanted $180 PER DAY for a sub compact.  Seriously?  We're not keen on renting at the airport but that rate is highway robbery.  I said 'who would ever pay that much for a car?' and J. replied 'high rollers'.  I said 'well, we're high rollers (sort of) but the reason we are high rollers is that we're not stupid.  No way will we pay that rate even for a day or two'.

We realized after some consideration - the drive to/from Oakland Airport; the necessity of getting there way before our flight time; flight time; time to get rental; time to drive to hotel from airport - factor all that in and we both realized (almost simultaneously) that the best approach is to just drive. Road trips are fun when it's the two of us and we will make a day of it.

I want to take my car 'cuz I'm not as comfy in a low seat but I'm a little worried about my car making it - I'm sure it would?  But road trips seem better done in the newest car vs. the oldest.  Anyway - we will think about it and decide - try to get an early start with plenty of Starbucks and snacks for the road.

We'll end up with $133.96 credit each on Southwest - that's the price of the round trip tickets we purchased awhile back.  Maybe we'll head to Nashville in October to visit B. .

I got in my swim suit today and stepped into the pool.  J. said it's 79 but it's still freezing cold to me. B. went for a swim and pronounced it 'perfect'...but I think it needs some heating up a bit to be perfect.

I'm home alone for most of the day tomorrow - B. is leaving shortly to spend the night and tomorrow with his friend C. across the bay - golf and guy time.  J. will be in Monterey tomorrow playing golf with his brother and H. will leave for school by 6:30 or so in the morning - so just me and Chloe. No car available so I'll just be hanging out at home -


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...