Saturday, June 11, 2016

Day Off!

I'm not working today which is awesome.  It would be way MORE awesome if I hadn't awakened with a massive headache.  It's after noon and it's still here...I've eaten, hydrated - not sure what else to try - grrr.  I do have to go in briefly in the morning to finish up a couple quick things and then scan all my budget documents to be ready for compiling the board packet.  The budget requires two meetings and the first is this coming Thursday so the board packet for that meeting goes out Monday morning.
I tried as hard as I could yesterday to get everything done but some fires took up time - and my boss took me to lunch for my birthday, which was really nice and fun.  Sushi!

B. left El Paso in his truck bound for Nashville and made it 50 miles before 'breaking a belt'. Turned out the belt was the timing belt - so back to El Paso (via tow truck - his Triple A only allowed for a 7 mile tow (what good is that?)) so he was out of pocket $185 for the tow.  We loaned him the $800 estimate for replacing the stuff that needed replacing - and he was back on the road this morning.  His flights here tomorrow had to be rescheduled and as it stands now, he will arrive in Oakland at 10:30PM tomorrow night - and I will see him some time on Monday.

He was royally pissed about the truck 'see, I told you I should have bought a new truck'.  I resisted saying 'see, I told you to consider having the truck transported vs. driving it so far' and instead tried to remind him that an $800 repair is WAY less than a huge monthly truck payment AND if he'd been budgeting and saving a monthly amount for 'car maintenance', he'd have the cushion he needs to pay for the repair no problem.  (I had zero issue loaning him the money for the repair - but he was upset that he needed a loan because he has been trying to save more).  His saving is like I saved at his age: just what I had left but with no real budget or plan each month, it was willy nilly and never built up to much.  Hopefully when he's here, we can spend a little time trying (again) to set up a monthly budget he can follow.  May be time for a separate savings account where he stashes regularly scheduled saving amounts for things like car repairs; travel; someday down payment on new vehicle, etc..  I know opening multiple savings accounts was the key in my saving history - just designating funds that were 'not to be touched' disciplined me/us to not use them.

I'm attempting to gear up to go to WalMart and/or Target to get the few toiletries and household supplies we need - but I really just don't feel great so here I sit. Still in PJ tank and boy shorts -

Maybe a nap.  That might do the trick.

H. is helping us plant some wildflowers seed in a bare spot of the back flower beds.  The transplanted shrubs are doing well but they appear to actually be getting too much water - have been purchasing drought resistant varieties so makes sense - so J. is ratcheting back the sprinklers a bit.

The pool heater is (finally) fixed - and J. (bless his heart) was planning to heat the pool for me this weekend - but I think we'll wait for next weekend.  Hopefully both days off next weekend -

I'm taking a nap.  I haven't had a nap in forever.  :-)

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...