Sunday, June 19, 2016

Awesome Fun

I left work early on Friday!! and instead of coming home and taking a nap, I kept my intertia going and J. and I trekked to the AT&T store - I am the proud owner of a brand new iPhone 6s Plus and am madly in love with it.  Still have a lot to learn but it's so much nicer than my ancient iPhone 4.  The transition to a new phone went very smoothly and we were in and out of the store in about an hour. There were moments that felt car-buying like - the endless upselling gets tiresome but I try to remember that the person doing the selling is doing their job - and our rep Shane was incredibly nice and very, very helpful.

First true weekend off in ages and I feel like I made the most of it - Saturday, J. and I went to Target and to Winco and that was after making a stop at Starbucks and the bank.  Had to go to Starbucks to try out my new updated app which allows ordering drinks and paying - then it tells you how long until your drinks will be ready.  You skip the order line and go straight to pickup - and it's awesome!! That feature in itself makes the phone my favorite thing - and that's honestly because I don't go to Starbucks much these days but when I do?  I will love the speediness of having the app.

When we returned home from our shopping, I made a huge batch of spaghetti sauce (with J.'s awesome help) - we were able to freeze quite a bit for future use and then had spaghetti last night...and leftovers tonight.  Time well spent and I've had a lot of supplies around awaiting me having the time to do it so it's nice to finally get back to doing some cooking.

I'm watching the Great British Baking Show and now have a million things I want to try to learn to make.  I'm good at basics - cookies, cakes.  But have never mastered pastries or pastry crust and I'd like to try!!  The only week off in the near future is our trip to Vegas in July - but I do hope to take off a week or two in September or October and I hope to do some baking when I'm off.

This morning, we all headed out to Perko's for breakfast - and even arriving 9ish, the place was mobbed.  Bless J.'s heart - he said he'd be fine with a quicker, more take-out type breakfast so we all headed to Jack in the Box.  Had a nice breakfast for under $25 and enjoyed watching H. try to figure out the drink machine - so many choices and you can mix things up to your hearts content.  Then, H. and I headed up to Lincoln and visited Thunder Valley together - he's never been.  We had a marvelous time - I won $400 on the 2nd machine I played so that kept us playing for longer than we would have - and then at the end, H. got on a streak and turned $20 into $150!  Yay!  He slept most of the way home - snoring all the way - and we were home by just after 5.  In traffic (full stop, lest you think I'm texting while driving), I tried to 'speak' text (where I am speaking into the phone and it is sending what I'm saying as a text) 'ETA five minutes, spaghetti please' (having previously texted 'I am starving') and the phone changed it to 'Five minutes the Getty Lee'.  Jim wrote back 'Geddy Lee is singer for Rush'.

Sometimes the phone messes up but to be fair, there was music playing and I didn't have the phone up to my face...so...it did the best it could.

J. and B. attempted to watch the US Open - a Father's Day tradition in our house.  Sadly, the broadcast company the match is broadcast on is in negotiations with Dish Network and have pulled their programming....this has happened before and almost always before some huge event.  It's frustrating for customers and for sports fans - and after going round and round trying to figure out other options, J. and B. ended up at Buffalo Wild Wings to watch.  So they had a nice day, too.

Have a busy day tomorrow - an offsite meeting at a neighboring district and then a conference call in the afternoon with a consulting company for a summer project we are working on.  Board meeting on Tuesday, in the office on Wednesday and hopefully off on Thursday.  Maybe Friday.  Not sure.  One or the other or both depending on how things are going.  We have a lot of upcoming year-end related deadlines and the person who used to assist with a lot of them is now retired so it's me, myself and I - a familiar thing these days.

Can't believe it's approaching 8PM already - so it's time for me to start thinking about getting ready for bed.  It was a lovely weekend - looking forward to the next one!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...