Sunday, June 05, 2016

Morning Fog

Not outside.  In my head.

I tried to retrieve a message from voicemail and entered the password wrong twice - so now it needs to be reset.  Asking for mother's birthday and I'm pretty sure since the phone is in J.'s name, it's his mother's birth date, which I should remember but don't.  I think it's December 27th but the year? I have no idea.  He will have to assist when he's up.

It's just after 6AM and I kept my promise to myself and got up at 5.  No alarm needed - just didn't go back to sleep upon awakening at 4:45.  It's officially light outside and the birds have quieted down so I will make another cup of coffee and then hop in the shower.

At the end of my day yesterday, prior to leaving for the much needed, wedged in haircut, I took a little time to regroup.  Did a couple very quick things that needed doing - monthly mileage reimbursement; monthly timesheet; set up some reminders on my calendar; cleaned out my (work) email box a bit. Was pleased to see 'desk' under the stacks and stacks of stuff and getting things grouped and filed by topic will assist in the still massive things that need doing to call the budget done.  I sent out an email about changes we are making to cell phones and my phone has been chiming steadily ever since.  Next time, wait until Monday is the lesson there.  :-)

On Friday, my team didn't bring in morning treats and I was surprised by that...'cuz birthdays are always a reason to splurge.  But our Payroll person is getting married in October and she's trying really hard to eat better - so it made sense.  Around 12PM, two of my team said 'we're heading to Starbucks, would you like something?'.  I replied no thanks and then said 'what the heck - a Grande caramel frappe, please'.  I had eaten crackers and egg salad around 11:30 and thought the sugar and caffeine from a frappe sounded like just what I needed to get through the afternoon.  They returned with the frappe - delicious as always.  At about 12:20, my boss called and said 'could you please come over to talk through a budget question with me?' and I said 'sure, what should I bring'.  'Just your brain' was the reply.

We met and it was a topic that needed discussion - and then, as I was leaving (which he initiated by standing up and moving towards the door), he said 'wait, there's something in the conference room I need to grab' - and Ta Da!  - a surprise party!  With Mexican food for lunch and little stick on mustaches in every variety possible.  Everyone in a mustache when I opened the door!  Mexican decor including maracas!  Cupcakes for dessert!  It was so fun!!  Really nice surprise and next to the red hat party on my 50th, my 56th was 2nd best!  The new additions to the Business Services team are just two of the nicest, most fun people ever and we're having a great time.

Oh - we did another paint party last week as well - this time including some people from other department's in our district - we all had a great time and there are now 7 pictures awaiting hanging in our office.  We've got a huge wall to fill so we're already planning another paint party in July.

If my 7AM planned arrival time is going to happen, I need to get moving.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...