Saturday, February 07, 2015

Tech Wow

How long ago was it that 'The Blackberry' was all the rage?  I remember vividly reading and hearing about 'emails on a cell phone' and all the 'stars' had them.  Of course, only 'stars' could afford them then.....I thought 'why do we need email on our phones'?

And now?  Emails on a phone are the norm.  As are texts and videos and cameras and games and apps that help you track flights, weather, etc. - amazing many of us carry a powerful computer with us most of the time.  Used for connecting and alarm clocks and entertainment and work.  In our hand!

Keeping in touch with J. and H. as they travel has been easy and fun - we are on text and/or Facebook messenger pretty regularly.  The only hindrance is the time difference because they are sound asleep when I get home from work and I am sleeping when they get up.  But we've managed to catch each other.

This morning, I saw my hubby a couple times at two different places in Rome via live web cam! Couldn't talk to him via the camera, but could see him and watch him wave!  It was priceless.

I am surviving OK without them.  Got a call from PG&E on Thursday night warning of the huge storm(s) approaching.  They've never done that before so I admit to some slight anxiety about the impending weather - but it wasn't that bad.  True, big winds - and it was oddly, strangely warmish and the wind was 'weird' - hard to describe but atypical blustering, even for Tracy.  We got rain last night and again today - and this afternoon, it was bright and sunny and HOT outside while rain poured down.  Amazing sight that I couldn't capture in a picture but wish I could have.

The guys left for the airport hotel on Tuesday around 7ish and I immediately got going on my 'list of things to do when the boys are in Rome'.  My enthusiasm for the list and my productivity level in the evenings has waned a bit - I'm getting up pretty early to give myself plenty of time to get ready and give Chloe attention before work - and I'm getting home later form work 'cuz I take a break mid-day to try to come home and let her out.  It was an insanely busy week at work and while the time flew by, it also felt 'slow' in passing.

It's Saturday and I wish I had more motivation but I'm being thwarted by a bad headache and sore throat that started yesterday.  I think it's just 'sinuses' vs. any real illness but I feel not great nevertheless.  Oh well.  I'm getting a few little things done today and look forward to a good night's sleep.

I have been sleeping pretty well - leaving my door slightly open so IF I hear something, I will know I am really hearing something vs. convincing myself I am hearing something and being afraid to open the door to really see if it's something.  And my sound machine on 'low' so I am likely to hear something that needs hearing - those two simple changes have me sleeping fairly well without my men around.

Chloe is as sweet as she can possibly be and she's doing a really good job being kenneled.  She dutifully trots in to her lair as soon as I brush my teeth in the morning and she knows when I power down the computer at night, it's time for bed.  Just like she does for her Dad when he's here.  (Yes, we are those people who refer to ourselves as the parent of our dog.  She's a part of our family....).

I have a three day weekend and am glad for the extra day off.  I was planning to be off yesterday as well but my week was just too jammed and I couldn't get board prep done without that day.  Oh well. There's plenty to do and I don't mind -

I think I'm going to attempt to make a homemade (well, the crust is pre-made - from Winco - sold in a little bag from the deli department) for lunch.  In honor of my guys traveling adventures.  H. apparently has OD'd on pizza and J. was taking him for a steak dinner tonight - which H. was really excited about.

Ciao for now!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...