Saturday, February 14, 2015

Anatomy of a Keurig Cup

A few weeks ago, I took on recycling K-cups.  It was bothering me to toss the plastic cups in the trash after each brew...plastic, coffee grounds.  So I decided to start recycling.

What somewhat prompted this was a discussion I had with a parent (at a committee meeting a few weeks ago) about composting.  She and her husband have four compost piles and they compost pretty much everything.  Top of her list was coffee grounds - as well as leftover pots of coffee.  She gave me many helpful hints on what to do to break down waste more quickly and since then, I've been doing a better job of composting.  I turn the bin pretty frequently and keep it pretty moist.  And I've added lots of green weekly along with the brown (leaves, etc.).  It seems to be working.  While J. and H. were gone, I added quite a bit to the bin but it's already starting to break down a bit.  Keeping the bin moist (the lady I spoke to says she empties any partially used bottled water; glasses of water; coffee; tea to their bin regularly) has really helped.

My K-cup recycling has also explained why K-cups are so expensive!  Inside each is a tiny filter - like a coffee pot basket filter only the size of the cup.  The grounds are inside the tiny filter which is inside the plastic cup!  So no wonder they are expensive 'cuz that's a lot to create in order to brew a beverage.  I pull out the grounds and then tear out the inside filter as well - it's all compostable.  Then rinse the plastic out and recycle those in our plastic recycle bin.

It's another three day weekend - the last break until the long slide into Spring break in April.  We have no particular plans.

Yes, it's Valentine's Day!  We are heading to Dave Wong's for Chinese takeout tonight but other than that, we are not spending money on cards, etc. - preferring to enjoy a really good meal in Paris for our anniversary and a belated V-day celebration.  Lots of friends at work were heading to overnight getaways with their spouses this weekend - making me wish we'd thought of that.  But we're spending plenty in a month on eight nights in Paris and that will have to do for now.

Work is getting crazy (on many levels).  My stress-o-meter is in overdrive and my stomach is where I feel it - I'm considering working a bit on Monday just to try to tamp down the growing panic I feel every time I think about what is on my list of 'must dos'.

Enjoyed a wonderful dinner on Thursday with my friend J. - we went to Simply Fondue and had the most delicious dinner AND Blackberry Lemon Drop martinis.  My new favorite drink and J. and I are going to Bev Mo this weekend to procure supplies to make them ourselves!  Of course the best part of the evening was time with my friend!

I'm on H. like a fly on fly paper as he passes the time with friends and stuff.  Forgetting to do everything he's supposed to do - rarely here.  Not looking for a job though he swears he will.  Tells us not to bug him about it or he just will delay further.  (I know - doesn't it make you want to scream?). I'm heading into 'ultimatum' mode - which never goes well and isn't particularly pleasant for anyone. I just don't know what else to do - hoping that once he's been home from Rome a week, he will get his shtick in gear and get going.  A job is required and the sooner the better.



No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...