Thursday, February 19, 2015

Freezer Living

J. and I decided to live off the freezer for the next couple weeks.  Mainly to just use things up before we go to Paris - which will (not coincidentally) make space to stock up for H. being home alone for 10 days.  It won't be the healthiest stuff he's eaten - no scratch cooking like we tend to do these days....shying away from most processed food - but it will be things he will eat and can put together himself.  He actually made a grilled cheese himself.  I know.  You're thinking 'seriously?  Isn't he 21+ years old?'.  Indeed he is.  But he does not like to 'cook'.  And even when we cook, he tends to gravitate for things he likes....so.  He will survive on what's he's used to, pretty much.

He'll be left with well stocked freezers and a list of easy to prepare 'meals'. It's the least we can do.

He will likely eat a lot of junk food while we are gone - and he'll be ready for a home cooked meal when we get home.  I'm sure post-jet-lag resolution, I will oblige him.  I love to cook for my guys.

So...back to the purpose of this post.  I just have to proclaim that spaghetti sauce that has been frozen and then thawed is so delectably delicious.  WAY better than I remember it being when we first made it.  Glad that we are getting into the habit of making double batches of things and freezing 'cuz having homemade, delicious sauce available has been a 'treat' and it wouldn't have been nearly as good if we'd thrown it together on a weeknight.  No long simmering possible.  Well, I guess it IS possible since my husband is home - but I'm the cook...and good sauce is my secret weapon.  [J. also cooks plenty...I get a lot of joy creating good sauce!].

It's also lovely that my sweet hubby knows that I like my pasta 'tossed' with the sauce....not ladled on top of a plate of pasta.  Coating the pasta with the sauce and then topping with grated cheese gets the sauce in every nook and cranny and makes it just delicious.

Two delicious dinner nights in a row of spaghetti.  Tomorrow is bean and pork burritos.

J. is so good to me.  Last night, as planned, he made me a Blackberry Lemon Drop martini.  The first one was a little too sweet - which surprised him 'cuz I like sweet drinks.  I drank a couple sips and he took it back.  The second one was better.  I'm sure we will perfect our preferences.

After giving away TONS of drink ware at the end of the year, he said he thinks we need to get a couple martini glasses.  We'll see....

No, we didn't make a third.  It was a work night.  If it had been Friday evening, then.....


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...