Friday, November 07, 2014

Shopping

Christmas ads are already everywhere.  They start before Halloween and now that November is upon us, they ramp up exponentially.  No escaping it.  Christmas is coming!

I just finished getting gifts for family via Internet shopping and can cross that off my list...and I'm ecstatic about the selection I made 'cuz it's something that we all enjoy and will be fun to try.

I love how the Internet shows us things we would otherwise never see and in seeing, gives us so many ideas of ways to 'be the change'.  The opportunity to do good is all around us - we just have to find ways to do it and put those thoughts into action.

I'll share what the gifts were after the holidays 'cuz it's an amazing thing - can't wait to try it.

I am in my hometown which has morphed and changed so much - not only since I lived here 35+ years ago but even in just the last six to fourteen years since my last two visits.  Freeways everywhere which must be a good thing though they are always backed up.  Still, I marvel at what it would be like if the stop and go freeways didn't exist here 'cuz the population growth is phenomenal.

We had a wonderful dinner out with my oldest sister and her husband last night.  Decent night's sleep though always a challenge to balance masking J.'s snoring from my own.  It's a careful balance.

H. is in his own room and was exhausted - getting up at seven AM to get to the airport yesterday vs. his usual sleep until noon approach had him more than willing to return to the hotel post dinner and get some sleep.

The hotel is lovely - the only disappointment is no refrigerators in the rooms so the leftovers we brought from dinner will need to be consumed pronto.

Today, I'm getting showered shortly and then out to the cemetery to visit my parents' crypt.  I think that's what I'm supposed to call it - they are in a mausoleum vs. a grave.  Then possibly trekking way east to visit our old neighborhood - revisiting the home on Earll Drive which has been completely renovated.  And the home on Campbell Avenue which still looks the same, at least from the outside.

Then to the party headquarters (my aunt's house) to work on prepping food for tomorrow's festivities. B. flies in this evening with a 7:30PM arrival so we'll have to get him - or have someone get him given there are many arrivals today.  It's also a huge NASCAR event in town this weekend (of all weekends to travel here) and it's going to be wild at the airport today, for sure.

We upgraded our car to a Dodge Challenger - V8.  H. continues to have his mother wrapped around his little finger and when the Avis guy gave us a discount and then found an even better discount after I'd declined his first offer, we did it.  We all regret it now, of course, 'cuz it's a two door and is completely impractical for a family of four.  But it does move when required - so there's that.

Tonight is dinner plans with my other sister.  Tomorrow, the 'big event' and then whatever the evening holds.  Sunday is full of events also and I can't wait for Sunday!

We heading home Monday.  We're going to have to try to come out for a weekend once in awhile 'cuz it's a lovely place and I have so many people to see and visit.  Once every six to eight years isn't enough.  It really isn't.

Jim is out walking the trails around the hotel and he just texted that he's at the turn back point in his walk - so I'd better get my turn in the shower and get ready for the day.  Busy-ness ensuing shortly.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...