Saturday, November 01, 2014

Finally, Moisture!

Yesterday was the first truly 'big' rain we've had in ages.  Of course, it occurred when I was driving home from Sacramento.  It was quite a trip.  Several really bad accidents including one where a semi cab went through the freeway rails and fell 60 feet.  The driver did not survive.  Traffic backed up in both directions forever.  I got off the freeway and meandered.

I took a strange route through Stockton that had me seeing the most amazing older homes - cruising through parts of the town I've never been in.  I stopped for a nice leisurely lunch...wasn't planning to go back to the office and no need to rush.  Enjoyed Chinese food and a pot of hot tea and brought home takeout for dinner.

Found myself by an oddly placed AM/PM market so bought MegaMillions (it's HUGE right now) and Powerball - 'cuz the fortune cookies I got with my lunch all had to do with finance!  And while I was opening the one that said 'your financial future is secure', the Titanic theme was playing and Celine Dion was singing at the top of her lungs.  What a sign!  Right?  I texted J. and told him and he said 'are you going to go east on Highway 4 instead of heading home?  (going to Jackson instead).  But no.  If it's meant to be, it will be.  But I did buy Lotto and Scratchers and the ladies at the store were saying 'you must feel really lucky' - and I did.

I didn't win Mega last night but no one did so yeah!  And I am going to Jackson soon so we'll see about the Titanic.

I haven't scratched the Lottery tix yet so there's still hope.  I thrive on hope.  Hope springs eternal.

Today, I got a hair cut with the new stylist recommended by my previous stylist.  Her name is Elyse and she's as sweet as she can be and she gave me a great hair cut!  She's been in touch with my former stylist and assures me she's fine - I'm so relieved.  You know me - I hate not knowing the story and while I still don't know much of the story, I know she's OK and that's enough for me. Splurged on some new hair thickening shampoo (40% off all products today) and the styling spray I like.

Then I drove to Lodi to lunch with a longtime friend - 30 years this year!  We always just pick up where we left off and we had a great time catching up -

The shelves are back in the study closet so I'll spend part of tomorrow putting things back.  The mornings are cold and I really want my car back in the garage ASAP.

We're watching football - Oregon vs. Cal.  (or vice versa.  I never know which goes first).  Really, J. is watching - I'm just in the room.

The Giants won the world series in an incredibly stressful Game 7.  I had plans to go out to dinner with a group of my CBO friends.  It takes us forever to find a night when we can all go - but we did it and booked the 'date' about a month ago.  That morning, I thought "I really would rather watch the game"...but I didn't want to be the one that cancelled.  But around 8AM, a group text came through with a pleading 'hey, I love y'all but it's the World Series and I don't want to miss the game'.  So we all got our secret wish and watched them take the title.  H. and his friends went in to San Fran yesterday to witness the celebration but the rain put a damper on things so they visited a friend who lives in the city and watched Halloween themed movies all night.  He arrived home early this morning.

We're getting excited for the trip to Phoenix next weekend - it's going to be a whirlwind, jam-packed few days.  B. had to change his ticket to arrive on Friday evening 'cuz his new unit won't let him leave Thursday night - so that's kind of a bummer but oh well. H. will have that hotel room to himself the first night.

And we found out that the Miss Arizona pageant also has activities at the venue where the birthday party is being held - so this should be interesting.  My two sons and a bunch of beautiful girls.  Oh, and other young male cousins.  It's going to be interesting.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...