Thursday, May 15, 2014

Waves of Relief

Leaving the oncologist's office this morning, I literally, physically felt the huge weight leave my body.  I realized earlier this week that I was dealing with huge amounts of dis-ease and while it took awhile for me to figure it out (it wasn't work; it wasn't lack of sleep; it wasn't [enter the trillions of things it could be but wasn't]), it was the unknown of it all.  Waiting once again for test results that would define the future months even further.  I didn't think I was un-OK until I felt that weight lift off.  I felt light as a feather as I headed to my car....and smiled all the way back to my office.

H.'s PET scan results were excellent.  No tumors anywhere else.  No organ involvement anywhere.  Lymph nodes look good.  He has a large tumor in his chest but it is responding well to chemo and is shrinking.  So thankful to hear that.  The plan is another round of chemo in two weeks (he had his 3rd round today) and then a CT scan the following week. Visit the doctor the week after that and if the tumor has further reduced, they will call the chemo round in two weeks 'the last' and send H. to radiation.

It was great news and I am so thankful to God for this.  Really, truly thankful.

H. made it through a fast infusion (just a couple of hours this time) and came home.  Forgot to take his nausea meds as soon as he got home so he was sick to his stomach shortly before I arrived home this evening - but I reminded him to take it and he's better.  This is the 3rd round and he knows the 3rd and 4th are usually quite difficult.

He went to the Giants game yesterday with a large group of friends and based on the sunburn and his general demeanor upon arriving home, he had a good time.  He wasn't driving so he had beers and I think he drank too much.  Even he said 'I think I overdid it' 'cuz he was exhausted and felt it.  Some hydration and ibuprofen and a bit earlier to bed last night than previous nights.

It's hard not to let him do what he wants when he wants.  He's an adult.  He actually does make his own decisions and while we can counsel him and offer sage advice, he does what he wants - so if overdoing it this time helps him see that his body needs extra care right now, that's the best approach I can think of.  Otherwise, it's just me and J. (really, me more 'cuz I'm The Mom and I can't shut that off) nagging him constantly.  I just want him to try to be 'kind' to his body right now - it needs his help.

Ten days shy of 21 and he's got to learn to be responsible for himself.

I have nineteen board agenda items - we prepped and finalized all but three today and considering I didn't arrive in my office until close to 11AM, that's pretty amazing.  It felt so great to have a wonderful helper and the two of us just plowed through one after the other and got them DONE.  Still have a huge one left but I did start sketching it out last night (at home) and plan to do more early in the morning and tomorrow.  I will feel another weight lift when board prep is done - though it will be quickly replaced by the weight of budget which is looming.

We'll get a system down for that shortly and we can plow through a lot in the next couple weeks.  Everything is possible.

Thanks to all for continued prayers, good vibes and generally awesome mojo.  It's helping more than words can say.  And to all the amazing friends who bring us dinner on chemo nights, thank you!!  It is wonderful - another weight lifted - to not have to figure out what's for dinner!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...