Friday, May 30, 2014

Things

A few short hours after posting that last post, B. texted me a cheery 'Hi, Mom.  Sorry I didn't call - I will call you soon!  I love you'....which made me feel guilty re: implying he only calls when he needs funding assistance.  So I edited the post - which most of you probably hadn't read before editing.

I don't want to be 'that Mom'...the one who gripes about her kids always needing money.  I am that mom sometimes these days but I really don't want to be.  I need to work on that.

Blessings abound and we feel fortunate to be able to help the kids now and then - though 'constant' isn't something we want to sustain long term.  There's a fine line between 'generously helping' and 'we need a house with a basement 'cuz these kids will never leave'.  We walk that fine line a lot lately and that's OK.

H. had chemo yesterday and was very disappointed they didn't remove the PICC line.  It's a pain to be 21 and have something in your arm that you have to be 'aware' of constantly.  He can't swim; can't get it wet; has to take time out twice a day for flushing it with saline and heparin.  It's a PITA....and we understand.  But they aren't sure he won't need more chemo and they won't know for a couple weeks.  His CT scan is scheduled for next week and in two weeks, we go back to the oncologist and see what he thinks.  Maybe more chemo and starting radiation?  Or maybe just radiation.  Whatever is needed, that's what we'll do.  The nurse explained to H. that the very strong drugs they are using kill cells.  That's their job.  But when you put those chemicals into an IV line in the arm or hand every other week, bad things can happen.  PICC lines allow the drugs to go directly into his system quickly and easily - and not being poked over and over for blood draws and IV's seems like a blessing, to me.  IV's hurt. Blood draws hurt.  Veins eventually collapse - so the PICC makes a lot of things much easier.

We'll see.  If chemo is needed longer term, they may decide to do the central line option - which is a surgical procedure but then requires no cautionary activities at all.  The beauty of him being able to shower easily and swim would be a wonderful thing.

He was sick to his stomach one time again - it's because he chugs three or four bottles of water as soon as he gets home and promptly barfs.  He said 'but they told me to drink a gallon of water and I was behind'...and I said 'but they're not saying to drink it all at once, H. - you should have water with you and be drinking all day, everyday - not pummeling your post-chemo stomach with fluids all at once'.  Still, once that nausea was over, he was out and about and fine.

Friends made dinner last night which is such a blessing.

Tonight, we have tickets to a show at Gallo and I'm thinking I'm too tired to go, but we'll see.   J. invited a friend to go and if he goes, yeah.  If not, I will see if I can get home a little early to try to take a quick nap to help me get through a concert.  I would love to go and I know once there, I will enjoy every minute - so we'll see.

Oh...and just FYI - I was taking Vitamin D for my deficiency thinking it would help me feel better...only I OD'd on Vitamin D and broke out in a rash....so now I don't take Vitamin D supplements and will stick to a Centrum-like multi and hope that does the trick.  Comical, really.  Why do they sell supplements in doses that are way too much?  Who knows.  Costco accepts all returns, though, so we may be returning the bottle.  I'm afraid to take them now given hivey rash on both arms -

New pool sweep arrived yesterday along with some gadget that will keep the algae at bay this summer.  I'm gearing up for a stay-cation in early July so looking forward to a sparkling pool that will be my pretend ocean.

OK - the font just went uber-small on me and I can't figure out why - so since I can no longer read what I'm writing very well, I'd better close for the day.  Hopefully closing out and coming back in will fix the issue.  This must be a 2pt. font or something....impossible.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...