Thursday, December 26, 2013

Recovery and Rest

Not the grandest of Christmas' (on our scale) but still fun.  We did one clue for the scavenger hunt and sent the boys to the freezer to locate Mr. Fuji.  You can read about him here.  He's still around and they knew right where to go - 

The sheer volume of funds spent on the various electronics under the tree kept their expectations in check - and yet, they still had games, some clothes, socks, underwear...and a few other little things.  Santa left big snack boxes full of lots of their favorite things and included 12 packs of their favorite sodas.  It was a fun morning.  J. and I actually got up first and it took a couple texts from me to H. to get him moving.  

Breakfast was breakfast burritos - easily thrown together with J.'s help cooking the sausage the night before.  I'd thought of a crock pot casserole of some kind but there's no guarantee the boys would eat something like that - so burritos were a sure thing.

Santa brought me the ice cream maker bowl attachment to my stand mixer so as soon as we have enough room in the freezer to freeze the bowl, I can make a sorbet.  

Dinner was delicious - ham, Au Gratin potatoes, green bean casserole and the pies made the day before.  The potatoes and French Silk pie recipes were from The Pioneer Woman website and they didn't disappoint.  I love the potatoes 'cuz they are creamy and delicious with just a hint of cheese (not a single bit of fluorescent orange powder in site) and the French Silk pie is decadently delicious and worth the time it takes to blend the eggs in one at a time (5 minutes apart times four).  

 Today has been a restful day with a few things done wedged in.  I was blessed with Starbucks gift cards so I merged them into my gold card and then went to get tea and lattes for us.  First time out in days - no makeup - and of course, I ran into a teacher who is actually on leave this year living in Florida.  She's visiting for the holidays and sounds like her 'trial retirement' is going well and she loves Florida.  

I was in a genial enough mood late yesterday to scratch all my lottery scratchers and not be too disappointed when we didn't win a big prize.  We did win enough to roll the winnings back into more tickets.  So there's still hope.  

I'm living on hope at the moment.

I'm in my head a lot these days - and it's not a pleasant place to be some times.  Today was a bit better than the past few so here's hoping that the remainder of the break will be steady improvement.  I need to do some 'work' at some point in the next few days and I just need to reconcile to that.  I've been taking phone calls (custodians still working this week and next except for the two holidays) and handling emails - so it shouldn't be that hard to get into some of the many projects I need to tackle.

H. got a call from the doctor's office confirming the throat culture they did showed some kind of infection - so they phoned in a prescription.  He gave the person phoning a piece of his mind re: the doctor's dismissive attitude - and was more than a little indignant that he's been sick for many days 'cuz she didn't take the time needed to listen to his complaints.  He's been sick for a couple weeks now...but with the help of a ZPack, he should be much improved by this time tomorrow.  He developed sore lymph nodes under his arm the day after he went to the doctor so we were pretty sure he had a bug of some kind.  Glad they had done the throat swab....saved us another $30 co-pay.  

Also have to send out kudos to H. for counseling a friend who works for a tire store on his work ethic.  The guy's been missing a lot of work - and H. told him 'dude, if you keep missing work, they're going to let you go'.  The guy says 'it's slow and they've been sending me home early anyway'....to which H. replies 'yeah, but you've been calling in sick a lot'.  Sure enough, the guy was let go today.  And yesterday, a co-worker (where H. currently works) phoned to tell H. that he had a really bad hang over and was planning to call in.  H. told him 'OK, but if you do, you better expect to be fired.  We are low on the seniority list and it's Christmas and we are who they scheduled today - so be ready to be fired if you don't show up'.  The guy went to work.  :-)  He's got a pretty good head on his shoulder about work.  Proud of him.

Yesterday ended perfectly with my sweet hubby finding You've Got Mail on the TV - perfect Christmas Day movie.  Today, I attempted to reciprocate by voluntarily switching the channel to The Godfather...but then I sat here on edge waiting for the next shooting scene. My husband's comment about 'brains splattered all over' didn't do much to assist in my anxious state - so he graciously agreed I could watch something else.  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is much easier to handle. 

The only other news is every phone (land line) in our house is dead or dying so J. had a reason to go to Costco today - we need new phones.  It's tempting to just move to cell but our Internet is bundled with the phone and it's not much more to keep the land line.  And there's nothing more irritating than picking up a phone only to have it die a few seconds after you've answered.  It disconnects the call.  Grrr.... so now we have new phones charging.

Post Christmas bliss is still in process.  B. is heading to a party and spending the night so we will pick him up in Manteca when he calls tomorrow.  (He could take the car but seems fine being picked up - so it will save me a night of worrying about my car.  And the person in the car). 

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...