Sunday, December 15, 2013

Parties

Fridays used to be the day to come home as early as possible and 'veg'.  During this time of year, though, it's an evening to wedge in as much as possible 'cuz the weekend is jammed full already and you need more time.

I somehow got hooked into going to a party - my former boss implored me a couple times this week to go.  I hadn't thought we would 'cuz it was B.'s first night home - when the invitation arrived, I put it aside thinking 'no, it's his first night home and I don't want to be gone that very first night'.  But my (former) boss can be persuasive....so J. and I found ourselves heading to a semi-formal (that's what the invitation said, anyway) event last night.

Which led to me arriving home Friday evening and going immediately out again to get a much needed haircut - and then to find something to wear to the event.  Apparently, the major closet culling I've done over the past few months resulted in me giving away virtually every 'dressy' blouse I own.  I have plenty of nice work tops - but an evening function during the holidays needs a bit of 'glitteriness', right?    Still had my very nice 'suede-like' black dress slacks.  Macy's had a really pretty dressy sweater with silver 'metallic' slivers in the leaf-pattern and another dressy top as a backup.  WalMart had a pair of 'dress' pumps for under $20.  I gave away my ankle-high black boots in a moment of 'every shoe I own is too small'.

The event was fun - though a long drive for us.  Maybe less enthusiastic about the drive since we'd spent three hours in the car going to/from Sacramento airport to pick up B..  Yes, he's home!  And the first hug is just the most amazing thing ever - I felt that way when he came home Memorial Day and it was the same this trip - just so, so glad to see him.  More on his homecoming shortly.

I think both boys were pretty thrilled to find out we would be gone most of the evening.  B. had a bunch of friends over and H. planned to also.  Their 'glee' in our absence was noticeable and we were fine with their plans.  It probably was 'better' that B. was able to have a bunch of friends over right away - they had a nice time.

So did we.  The party was incredibly nice - free valet parking; amazing food; open bar.  Had a great time visiting with my former boss and some of his new coworkers - and got to know some other folks who work for the construction company we're using for our projects.  It was a really nice evening.

B.'s friends were still here when we arrived home and they stayed - but I was pretty tired and had no trouble going to sleep.

So he's home for the next three weeks.  He's been careful about noise levels; picks up after himself more than not; hugs a lot (which is lovely).  He's planning to snow board with friends the 23rd and 24th and also plans on getting a tattoo while he's here.  Can't stop him - his body and his money - and though I suggested doing what his friend did and have tats that don't show under short-sleeved shirts or t-shirts - he's determined.  I'm hoping it will hurt like heck and he'll scale back his plan...but we'll see.

I am off M & F this coming week - our office holiday party was moved to Wednesday so I need to be there that day - mainly 'cuz I know I'm not going to be very inclined to attend a Wednesday evening function if I've been off that day.

It's Sunday and I'm still dealing with sore throat/headachy/sinus stuff.  It never ends.  J. (bless his sweet heart) took my list of groceries and the one 'must-do' errand and headed out to accomplish things I need to but don't feel like doing.  I need to head to work to drop off a Secret Santa item that can't wait until I'm back (lest it be a dead-giveaway for who the Secret Santa is).  I will put the item on the desk, re-arm the alarms and leave as quickly as I came.

Christmas shopping is on the list for tomorrow.  There's time next weekend but I don't want to be out there with the gazillion others putting things off until the last weekend before the big day.

Enjoying time with the boys - one of the best parts of picking up B. yesterday was seeing he and his brother reconnect.  They probably talked more yesterday than I've seen them talk face to face in years.  The two of them walked ahead of us to the car, chatting all the way.

Sacramento airport is further away mileage wise than Oakland - but I love how close the parking is to the terminal.  I love being able to go up to where the trams come in from the drop off gates - so you can see someone pretty 'fresh' off the plane.  I love that it's far less crowded than Oakland and while the drive is a bit longer, it's very pretty.  Less stop and go. Less concrete jungle like.  It was great to watch him walk off the tram and realize it was him. He managed to travel with only his backpack including his boots tied to the outside.  He didn't wear his camos - which was fine.  He was traveling light - and anticipated having more clothes to take home post-Christmas.  Odds are pretty good he's right about that.

Tonight is Survivor finale - it's been a fun season and we are anxious for the end.  Go Sierra!






No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...