Tuesday, December 31, 2013

NYE 2013

The boys are priming for this evening - by sleeping all day.  They arose in the morning when forced to 'cuz the cleaning ladies arrived (early.  Of all days for them to be early). Begrudgingly, laundry was picked up off floors; clean sheets put on end of still warm beds.  I did my part by procuring breakfast burritos from the Taqueria.  As soon as they'd eaten and the two ladies were done upstairs, they headed back up to bed and haven't been heard from since.  It's 2:30PM.

For a little excitement, the cleaning ladies flushed the toilet upstairs not realizing it was clogged and overflowed water everywhere.  They told J. 'we'll just mop it up'....but you can't absorb that much water with a cotton string mop - so the water went through the floor into the garage ceiling.  I'm more than a little worried - but it will likely dry out.  We should pull up the linoleum and look at the sub floor but we're not going to do that - yet.

Note to husband:  towels are the answer.  Many, many towels.  If the water had been absorbed, it wouldn't have gone through the floor/ceiling....

The dog makes me bat-shit crazy (sorry for the language but it's the only adequate description I can come up with) with her incessant barking.  The bark wouldn't bother me except Chloe has a shrill bark that's like fingernails on a chalkboard on the irritation scale.

On the other hand, we took her to the vet late yesterday when she exhibited signs of clearly being under the weather - her tail drooped and a 'mom' can just tell.  She was off - sad eyes; droopy tail; lethargic.  No diagnosis but today, she is better and her tail is back to normal so yeah that!  I've been playing with her out of sheer joy that she's OK and NOT going to cost us four figures for any testing, etc. .  At least not so far.  She seems back to normal and was certainly in 'uber protection' mode the entire time the cleaning ladies were here.

J. inquired if I planned to be up until midnight and I responded with a firm 'no'.  It's doubtful.  I will try - but it's not likely.  We are going to make berry margaritas and a couple of those and sleep will overwhelm me.  I know that about myself.  I often wish I could drink 'more' on special occasions and stay vertical, but I can't.

I'm making an assortment of finger foods for this evening and may go to McD's and procure some chicken nuggets and fries to add to the selection.  I went grocery shopping after my doctor's appointment yesterday (got my very own Zpack of antibiotics as well as a nasal spray that will hopefully calm m sinuses down.  Also got a Hepatitis A vaccination [first of two] since that is recommended by the CDC for travel to Europe) only I'd left my debit card here so had to spend only the cash I had on me.  $20 for chicken wings for dinner.  They are just like Wing Stop - B. was very impressed and his favorite is mine, too - garlic Parmesan. They were delicious!

Though I marveled at $2.78 a pound for chicken wings and only $0.98 cents a pound for chicken thighs.  Somehow, garlic Parm thighs don't have a nice ring to them.

Winter Break 2013 is winding down and I'm tamping down the feelings of panic when I think about work.  I wake up at 5ish most mornings and force myself to go back to sleep - and then have the wildest, craziest dreams...usually work related.  Where I speak my mind to people I shouldn't.  I wake up 'nervous' and glad it was all a dream 'cuz crazy things happen in those dreams that would be really bad if they were 'real'.

2013 has been a year of much change in our home.  One kid out; another out and back. Hubby firmly ensconced and enjoying a well deserved retirement - and  officially one of those retired people who is so busy, they don't know how they ever wedged in work.  Me adjusting to the 'pressure' of being the 'breadwinner' (in terms of a paying job).  I always remind myself lately that we are very blessed - and truly, though it would be a huge change and adjustments would be required - and should I really feel 'done', I probably could be.  It would involve moving out of state and making choices for a far simpler life - but it's do-able.  So that keeps me going. So incredibly thankful for the options and choices we have that many might not.  And with those options and hope, I can plow through another day/week/month/year.  Hoping for 10 more years.  We'll see, though.  When I feel really worried, fretful and sick of it all, I just offer it to God 'cuz it's all up to Him anyway - and I trust that.  I know that.  All that shall be will be and no amount of fretting on my part's going to change any of it.

2014 will be much of the same, undoubtedly.  We are very excited and greatly looking forward to our whirlwind Europe trip in a couple months (Holy Cow!) and then 12 days in Mexico in July.  It's possible this time next year will see J. recovering and working hard on rehab post knee replacement surgery.  Knee or hip.  I can never remember which.  But something needs replacing 'cuz it's bone on bone and bothers him a fair amount.  Though he still walks and manages to stay active -  (It's his knee.  He just reminded me).

Here's to the last post of 2013 and hoping for many more in 2014.  Thanks to those who read and reach out - my cousin D. (in Oklahoma)  and my cousin S. (in Arizona) and others. I'm grateful you hang in there with me and read the drivel here.

It's just life - but feel blessed every single day -



No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...