Friday, December 20, 2013

Of Men....and More Men

B. asked politely if anyone would be able to get milk soon.  He added 'didn't I just buy a gallon yesterday?'.  Yes, you did.  We go through six-ish gallons a week here and that's when you're NOT home.  Welcome to the world where a six foot three male survives on chocolate milk. We'd buy a cow but there's no room in the backyard.

And our refrigerator is perpetually so full of other 'stuff' that now, we can only buy a gallon at a time - which means someone is running to get milk a lot.  A LOT!  more than usual with two young adults at home requiring dairy.  Ten gallons a week appears to be our current consumption number.  It will go down again after the 5th.

(Side note: B. has been driving my car 'cuz it's closest to driving his truck - what' he's used to.  I drove it to pick up breakfast burritos for the District Office staff yesterday morning and he had the radio tuned to a country western station.  The song was about 'I drive your truck' when missing someone you've lost - how the truck makes them feel closer to their lost loved one.  And I felt so choked up suddenly at the thought of his January 5th departure....I had to stop the car for a bit and compose myself before going back to work.  Emotions run high and all over the place when he's home - for me, anyway.  Much like this time last year).

I am officially off and celebrated by going to work for an hour or so.  I left sort of in a hurry yesterday and felt 'un-settled' all night.  A couple 'quick' tasks that I had left until after the break just didn't sit right through the night - so I went in, got them done, tidied my desk and brought stuff home for after Christmas.  I doubt I will be bored - but I do have a lot of projects I could get a head start on.

Remember the March trip to Europe coming up?  What was I thinking?  It's going to be the absolute wildest, craziest, busiest January and February of my tenure - and that's saying something.  I'm not 'panicked' (yet).

So I went in, feel 'settled' and came home with energy and productiveness in my veins. Ground a bunch of coffee.  Got dinner in the crock pot.  Now I'm making lists and checking them twice (and thrice even) and will be heading out shortly for errands and shopping.

I've come up with a relatively inexpensive way to get stuff wrapped under the tree that will add to the two 'main' presents.  I just can't abide by few things under the tree.  It's not 'right' to me.  So we will augment with a few inexpensive 'gifts' that will be consumed (literally) shortly after opening.

B. is growing a mustache and a goatee.  He's also getting a tattoo on Friday, January 3rd. When you're on leave, you grow facial hair 'cuz you can't have that when you're on base.  The tattoo?  I don't know about it - I have heard they have changed their 'rules' about body art and I've reminded him about that.  But he says it will be fine.

It's approaching nap time which means I will debate napping vs. errand running.  Napping would be absolutely lovely - but I will sleep better tonight if I don't.  I still woke up pretty early this morning and am thinking 6:30ish may be the new 'sleeping in late' for me.  It's still 2 hours later than usual on a weekday and it felt great to have no alarm!!  16 more days of no alarm will do wonders for my tired psyche.



No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...