Wednesday, August 14, 2013

What's Up?

Having just enjoyed a cyber-chat with my cousin S. (the most wonderful way to start the day!) and having her comment she misses the musings, I will attempt to do something remotely resembling a post.  I'm becoming one of those bloggers who doesn't update much - irritates the heck out of me when a 'family' I've been following goes silent for weeks on end.  I am apparently of that ilk these days.  There's much news afoot - but none of it is blog material.  It would be blog material if I were inclined to risk being easily identified...but I'm not....so I stay silent.

Yesterday was the first day of school and the teachers were tanned and happy to be back!  In back-to-school mode, I wore a new, pretty outfit that added some brightness to my day even if it was only in appearance.  I do love how the kids have a way of re-invigorating all of us around them - hard not to feel excited with so many young people off to a great start.  And as always, I marvel at the teachers who are 'on' 8 hours a day and will be for the next 180 days - I couldn't do that job.  I really couldn't.

H. has a lead on a job so we'll see how that works out.  He's also still in the running for an Amazon job so we're crossing fingers he will get an interview.  With a nationally recognized company in our little town - it's an amazing opportunity - but there are thousands of applicants so we'll see.  In the mean time, he works for United Bank of Your Parents and is managing to keep somewhat busy.  Barely.

In another chat with a friend last night, we were shown info on apprenticeships - H. is thinking he wants to learn a trade - so J. will work on scoping those out as well.  H. is struggling with 'but how do I know that's what I want to do forever?'...and I keep saying 'you don't.  But you pick something you can do and will do and you do it.  Then you see what comes next'.  Oh...the difficulties of being 20.  

B. is fine.  I know that because he overdrew his checking account (I get his email alerts).  He gets paid tomorrow....but he is low on cash 'cuz he finally paid the sales tax on the new truck.  Still, he called me to tell me his plan to make it from the first of the month to now - and at least he has an awareness of his dwindling cash flow.  H. is cash unaware 24/7....and it's a constant struggle of monitoring and watching....

I have 'fare-locked' our tickets to Cancun and in a weird twist of fate, it's far less expensive if our trip starts in June and ends in July vs. both start and end being in July - so we've adjusted the dates a bit. And in another strange twist of fate, it's only a few hundred dollars more to fly Business Class (essentially first class) to and from - so we're doing it!  We easily spend a few hundred upgrading to the 'more leg room' seats - so we'll just pay it in advance and be in first class - for the entire trip.  I'm so excited I was giggly at work yesterday. We paid to 'fare lock' the tickets while we confirmed with the condo owner the date change would work - and now it's a  'book it Dano!' moment as I will purchase them shortly.  

I keep saying 'two weeks a year in Cancun will help make it 'worth it' '.  The 'it' being working at a job that is not as fun as it used to be (for reasons I won't go into).  

I hope if I keep saying that, it will be.  

Have a great day - I will do the same.  The choice is mine.  I know that.  

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...