Sunday, August 18, 2013

Things I Love

Having worked both days of the weekend, I found myself reflecting on things that I love....distracting myself from the sad truth of the upcoming few weeks.  The annual trudge towards the end of September and October where I can breathe for a bit - I did make amazing progress today and I have a full 'no meeting' day tomorrow so there's hope!  I'm reasonably sure I will need to work the next couple weekends also - but after that, it will be a bit of a lull.  I could use a lull....

I love working on weekends when I can crank up my iPod and rock out while working.  Today was a Bohemian Rhapsody kind of day - LOUD with me moving to the groove as I worked.

I love thoughts of the beach.  And Vegas.  And Disneyland.  Places I love and places that when I think of them - and know that I will visit again and look forward to those trips - and immediately feel myself feel simultaneously blessed and content.

Life is good.  I love that I know that.

I love Sunday nights with dinner, 60 Minutes and Newsroom.  Even heading into a busy week, it's still a nice relaxing way to end the week.  Newsroom is fantastic - it's on HBO.  If you haven't discovered it, it's amazing.  We can't wait for each week's episode; watch them over and over before the next week gets here and then marvel at how quickly an hour goes.

I love my kids.  Even when they're making me a little bonkers.  We are hoping to get B. home for Labor Day weekend - something that he had resigned himself to not doing because he has not saved up for a ticket and his mom was being a butt head about it.  No, really.  I am.  Was.  Then I got on the computer and realized that we could use miles to get him here.  He'd have to fly United - which means flying into SFO vs. Oakland or Sacto - but oh well.  It's a $600 ticket for $80 - which we'll pay.

I just can't stand the thought of not seeing him until Christmas.

I also can't stand that he's spending all his money every paycheck - but oh well.  It is his money.  But when he called today to inquire about us buying him a new computer in advance of Christmas and his birthday - I said 'no'.  And then added that he was supposed to be saving for a ticket home as well - and he's not doing that either.

And then I decided being Mommy Dearest wasn't really my thing.

So now he's coming home for Labor Day (I hope) and I will surprise him by giving him the money I would have paid for the ticket but saved using mileage to pitch in for a new computer.  His is inoperable - the screen is non-functioning and the solution he's been using (a cable that connects the computer to his TV) doesn't work anymore either.

We are helping H. quite a bit - so it's OK.  I shouldn't begrudge B. a little financial assistance.  It's a fine line between teaching financial responsibility and augmenting.  Of course, by the time I was H.'s age, I was self supporting, living on my own AND putting myself through school. Both boys have a ways to go to that level of financial independence.

I always wanted to be a parent who graciously and willingly offers to assist - instead, I'm becoming my mother...which only pisses me off (at myself) more.

Pissing yourself off is never great.

Time for bed.  I am heading in to work by 6:30 'cuz the tech guy needs to load the State accounting software on my computer.  It was supposedly already done - but it wasn't installed correctly - which put a serious crimp in my timeline.  I had to reverse the order of some things - but managed to modify my 'method' to accommodate not being able to do a download.

Plenty of time for downloads tomorrow -





No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...