Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Changes in Attitudes

B. isn't coming home for Labor Day 'cuz it turns out that even though they have all been told they have a 4 day weekend, he is 'owned' by the Army and leaving the State isn't permitted.  That would be 'a leave' of four days duration and they aren't granting any leaves.  Mainly because they have lots of troops coming home - and homecomings are events for the entire base.  Huge gatherings; ceremonies; etc. and attendance isn't optional.

It's OK.

Bless his heart B.'s first concern (he reached J. before he reached me) was 'I'm worried Mom will be disappointed'.  And my first thought was 'darn it - why did you go and get his hopes up only to have them dashed by 'the man' '.

Sometimes I feel like the worst parent in the world.

But true to his resilient self, B. is fine.  We will just look forward to Christmas 'cuz it's looking like that's the best we can hope for.

Speaking of Christmas, he asked if he could bring a soldier buddy home with him for the week.  He said 'the guy doesn't have the best family situation, Mom, and he usually just stays in the barracks - by himself'.  So of course I said 'bring him'.  We can do the touristy San Fran things and enjoy company.

Brooks may drive Zoe (that's his truck) home - so having another person to share the driving with would be good.  He wants to show her off to his friends.  It's not that much cheaper to drive her home - she's a beast and I bet he only gets in the low teens on mileage - but it's not about the money.  He just wants to have his 'own' car when he's home.  And it's a long enough break that driving home is feasible.

Tonight is the first Board meeting for our new sup - and it's a bit nerve wracking.  We are also moving to 'all electronic' packets - meaning no paper.  I'm more nervous about that than anything 'cuz it's hard for me to follow along - and 8 items are mine to present.  Yikes.  Makes me nervous.

It will be fine...it always is.

I have penciled in some time off in September and October and I'm sure hoping I can make it happen. A stay-cation would be lovely - that's the one 'downside' to two weeks at the beach:  no time to piddle around the homestead.  The major culling continues and I want to get on board and work on closets and garage more.

Our refi is still in process and at this point, I'm pretty sure BofA has no intention of refinancing us. Our rate lock ends in six days and I suspect they will drag it out until they can up the rate - I still think it will be 'worth it' - any savings at this point will help.  But it irritates me and makes me NOT want to work with BofA anymore - and they sold our loan during the process so they may not be all that motivated to bother either.  The banks piss me off - all of them.  Especially the big ones.  We've been jerked around for THREE MONTHS and we're still nowhere close to actually being successful.  Credit scores in the 800's and plenty of assets - and they still won't refinance us.

My cell phone just chimed - daily absence report in my In box every morning at 6AM - so I need to get moving.  Today is a jam-packed meeting day - and I've got things that have to be wedged in to complete between meetings.

Off to the races.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...