Thursday, February 28, 2013

Privilege

We haven't had a phone call from B. in weeks.  I am totally and completely fine with that 'cuz he writes pretty often.  His letters are so fun to read and his personality comes through in the words.  It's a joy to hear from him.

We read on Facebook today that some platoons in his unit lost phone privileges 'cuz some guys tried to sneak off the base!  So maybe that's why we haven't heard from him by phone?  He hasn't mentioned anything in his letters so it might have happened recently?  Another newsy letter arrived yesterday...he is working hard on getting fitness scores that qualify him for RASP (Ranger Assessment and Selection Program).  He is working on push-ups because his form is lowering his score.  He is one motivated young man and his drill instructor is encouraging him....so good to hear how motivated he is and how determined he is.  He's always been like that - when he makes up his mind about something, there is no stopping him!  Go B.!

I wrote him a letter and J. read it - we always share our letters with each other because we write separately so B. will get more mail - and said 'So you're proud of him, right?'  Guess my letter mentioned that many times.

It's hard to describe how I feel about him these days.  I never imagined I would feel so fiercely proud of him - of what he's doing.  I've always felt sort of ambivalent about his career choice...but he's there and he's working his heart out - and he's doing it.  He really is.  When I see the pictures of the things they do - and there he is - shooting a grenade launcher or crossing a net bridge a couple stories off the ground...it just boggles my mind.  Proud?  Hell, yes!  And excited for him because he is so passionate about these goals - and honestly, isn't that what we all want?  For our kids to find something that motivates the hell out of them?  Gets them moving forward in their lives?

They are being fitted for their dress blues and I know I am just going to cry most of the ceremony because that's my 'baby' there.  My first born baby - all grown up and making his way through a gazillion challenging things all on his own.  It boggles my mind....

We've made all our reservations and are so excited to be going...and the Facebook posts remind us how blessed we are.  There are so many families that can't make the trip out for graduation...or are praying to find a place to stay on the base - which is pretty limited.  Or even camp on the base.  We are so blessed to be able to plan and go.  We're planning things to do in Atlanta for the 1/2 days we will be there....making it a true 'adventure'.  While others struggle to even consider making the trip to be there. I feel so grateful...and privileged.

H. got a job! with Orchard Supply Hardware here in town - in their warehouse.  An official 40 hour a week job - with a major retailer.  I think he's excited - but slightly disappointed to be employed so quickly....his roommate is still looking and H. just qualified for unemployment....but he doesn't start the new job until March 12th so he still has a couple weeks.  We are excited for him - though still having issues with him being an incompetent money manager.  Remember the Cosby episode where Cliff uses Monopoly money to illustrate to Theo how fast money goes on living expenses?  We're planning on re-enacting that episode soon to make the point!

I was amazingly home by 3:30 today after going in very early most days this week - and I headed straight outside and did a little gardening.  Then a little time on the computer and headed out again to take Chloe for a walk.  She led the entire way - so happy to be out in warm-ish weather on a clear, beautiful day - as was I!  I should have returned to work after a long meeting at our county office - but truly, an afternoon at home was needed far more.  And I'd already put in more than an 8 hour day at that point -

Now it's salmon, brown rice and green beans for dinner.  J. is cooking and found a new recipe for the salmon!  Chloe is still full of energy - I could throw her toy a million times and she'd still want more!


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...