Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Letters

I'm really loving restoring the art of letter writing - to/from our soldier.  We received another one yesterday and I was so anxious to read it that I asked J. to scan it to me at work!  It was short but sweet.  He has a really bad sore throat (on 2/1) so I'm a little worried about him - and he said that he realizes two tickets to Georgia is expensive so if we can't make it to graduation/family day, that's OK - he will hang out with his buddies and 'do things infantrymen get to do'.  I don't have any idea what those things are...but the pictures tell the story so I'm learning.  He is really enjoying the marksmanship part of the training, clearly.  Guns...he loves guns.

I took a minute at work (the first break I'd taken all day other than running to the restroom between meetings) to take out a note card from my drawer and write him a hand written note - saying that I hope his throat is better and to please get it checked out if he doesn't feel better soon...and then added that wild horses couldn't keep us away from his graduation ceremony.  We would be there and wouldn't miss it for anything. 

Last night, we made our reservations for the flights, hotels and rental car.  J. is going to get us a room near the Atlanta Airport the first night and the last night - and once he does that, we will be all set!  True, this isn't an inexpensive trip though our hotels are only $99 a night and we got a decent deal on airfare.  But it's only money, we can't take it with us and I don't care if I end up working into my 90's.  Anytime we are able to visit him and celebrate with him, we will go - anywhere, anytime.

I just sneezed 10 times in a row....darn 'cold' or whatever this lingering mess is. 

Up early today and heading to the shower shortly.  Long days this week....but it's OK.  A three day weekend looms and I'm looking forward to sleeping in a bit all three days! 

As I addressed the note to B. last night, I said 'the US Postal system can never go under 'cuz there are soldiers everywhere that can only communicate with their families via letters.'  It's so true - a rare, 4.25 minute phone call is once in a blue moon - but letters can be an everyday thing.  It's comforting.  And he's writing us back which is lovely....

I made banana bread last night to use up bananas that I bought totally forgetting that B. isn't here anymore and H. doesn't eat bananas.  I didn't put nuts in it 'cuz H. doesn't like nuts.  So J. sent H. a text saying 'Mom made gelded banana bread'.  LOL.....

H. is coming for dinner tonight, we think.  That's something to look forward to.  While we are definitely enjoying being alone, it's nice to have H. nearby.  I think if he were also across country or otherwise far away, it would be too hard to transition....but he's still around and we see him and text with him or talk to him everyday which is lovely.  He's a sweet kid.....

Off to the trenches. 

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...