Saturday, September 15, 2012

Terlets

As if on cue, two of the three toilets in the house went on the fritz this week.  Logistically, it's been a bit rough - though thankfully, the boys toilet is working...you just have to remove the lid off the tank to flush 'cuz the handle finally broke.  I've been saying for weeks it was not working right - taking Herculean strength to flush and finally the handle broke.  I was the only one not surprised about that turn of events.

Days later - and a house now littered with OSH, Home Depot and ACE Hardware store bags - all are working.  In fact, the downstairs one now flushes twice - refills slightly and goes again!  I should be happy about that given the frequency of excrement around here - but it's a waste of water and it's not right.  I fear it foreshadows yet another repair somewhere down the road - and pray it won't be catastrophic - like discovering it's leaking somewhere inside the wall or under the floor.  Probably not but who knows?

The repairs involved removing both tanks from the base and reattaching....and in the case of the kids bathroom, also removing the 'over the toilet' storage unit we've had since we moved in.  Remember the plans to put in cabinets?  Yeah, well the estimate was ridiculous for the guy who wanted to 'build' them and then J. stopped working and I got uber-frugal so now we continue to use the over the toilet storage unit we purchased at Target 12 years ago when we moved in.  Only this time, J. removed all the 'stuff' in it before attempting to move it.  Said 'wow, that was sure a lot easier'.  (I said nothing but inside was thinking 'Dude - DUH!  Why did you not do that the last time you repaired the toilet - which was a couple months ago...and shortly after that repair is when the handles started sticking)....

I have to give J. a lot of credit 'cuz it wasn't easy - and now they work!  So yeah!  Back to all systems fully functional - and one upgraded to include an extra 'boost'....which will be handy.  Should prevent clogs - which, by the way, we rarely have anymore because we stopped purchasing the '3-ply' toilet tissue.  I won't allow it in the house.  Less expensive AND we've not had a single stopped up toilet since!  It's hard to find these days - but it's still available and we don't even miss the 'extra layer' we are no longer paying for.  How many layers do we all need, really -

I've made menus for the next couple weeks and planned shopping lists.  Irritated at the number of stores I will be trekking to - but WinCo doesn't have soy yogurt and I've not had those in a few weeks...and I'm getting back on my healthier eating habits ASAP.  I've been reasonably good - but I haven't been anywhere that carries soy yogurts in over a month and so I've been eating bagels and cream cheese for breakfast.  Cheese and I....well....I just don't want to eat cheese, including cream cheese.  And a bagel without cream cheese is - just a bagel....

Then I relax and think 'isn't it nice to have plenty of time to trek around and shop' 'cuz I'm off work and have nothing but time....

My throat scope is set for Monday around 11:30 (based on my 10:30 arrival time).  Home by 1 (I hope) for napping....fine by the next day with a somewhat irritated throat and stomach depending on what they find and remove....grateful this procedure doesn't require any 'prep'....though I'll be a cranky beast with little to no coffee 'cuz I can't have soy milk in it -

Weekend in progress and I'm not working!!  Joy, joy, joy...

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...