Monday, January 02, 2012

ER

What is it about the New Year that results in medical emergencies? Two years ago, it was me. This morning, it is B. Awakened before 6 with commotion outside the bedroom door. B. in huge pain.....he's in the ER with J. and it's likely a kidney stone. And the poor kid is freaking out about the army. Will this prevent them from taking him? Might. That's a discussion for another day.

So I'm up way, WAY earlier than I have been for the preceding 16 days and noticed that it is pitch black outside at 7AM (which is when I'm usually at my desk - actually, usually earlier - 7AM is my latest). So that will be interesting in the morning -

Reading emails including one from a dear friend that had me laughing out loud and risking snorting coffee out my nose. She cracks me up - and I will be having dinner with her soon and can hardly wait to see her. She's recently retired and now that she doesn't work for the place we both used to work, I can't wait to converse about things - get caught up on the happenings. Retirement will be hard for her - and not. Easier than she thought it would be, I think. What's not to love about having nowhere to be and nothing that 'must be done' at any particular time? Sounds like heaven to me....

There is a constant 'buzzing' above my head - H.'s phone? I will go upstairs and check momentarily 'cuz I need to get showered and dressed. Not that I want to - but it's very cold in just my nightgown and I need to get bundled up in layers.

We have a fence repair guy coming to give us an estimate at 11AM. The side yard fence has never been 'right' since the pool company removed a section to get the little backhoe in to dig the pool - and it's losing boards right and left. So we're getting estimates on getting that repaired. Have a list of 'home projects' that we've pended for some time but we're getting to where I can wedge them into our budget every few months. Will feel 'better' about the fence if I just bite the bullet and get it done. J. thinks the neighbors should pitch in - but I know we are responsible for the issues - no other fencing is having issues of remaining standing and it was us who dug a cement pond in our backyard - not our neighbors. Hopefully won't be hugely expensive - the boards are still good - just need to be secured in place.

I am also planning a couple hours at my desk at work. Ugh. But better to attempt to refresh my memory when there are no people present than to spend tomorrow gasping and fretting when my team can witness my distress. My memory isn't what it used to be and a fair amount of time will be spent just recalling where I left off on various things. I will feel 'better' having taken some time to sort through, prioritize and cull what I can....

My feet are numb with cold....so I need a hot shower. 2012 is looking exciting already!!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...