Saturday, September 17, 2011

Garage Wars

Have you watched the show "Storage Wars" on TV? It's amusing....people buy storage lockers that are being auctioned - hoping to find some treasure. Many own second hand stores and look for household items to put in their store. Others are collectors who are looking for unique items that may be worth something - or they may just keep them. It's an entertaining show and the 'characters' who are the buyers are interesting.

J. and I spent most of the day in the garage. We filled the trash bin and the recycle bin with junk. We also have a couple bags of books and a bag of CD's to donate to the library tomorrow. We uncovered some treasures - things to keep. H. is now wearing his grandpa's dog tag proudly around his neck.

We took many walks down memory lane - his parent's stuff, my mom's stuff. We made another pass at various paperwork boxes - shredded old mortgage stuff from our two Hayward homes. Shredded stuff from his parents.

The CD's were my mom's and it was definitely a reminder that she had very eclectic taste in music. Julio Iglesias, Alabama, barbershop singers, lots of classical, a bunch of other country artists. Barry Manilow singing with a full orchestra - hit of my mom's life vs. his 'hits'. She sure had a wide range of things she enjoyed.

J. got our bikes out and put air in the tires. I rode mine up and down the street - it needs a tune up because the back brake is rubbing on the tire constantly. We'll try to get them to the local bike shop next weekend and we both hope to start riding. It felt good to be cruising down the street and I might even ride my bike to work one or two days a week. It's do-able on days when I don't have work with me to bring back and forth.

We also have a list of things to put in my car and take a trip to the dump. We miss the days when the city would do two free pickups each year - they don't do that anymore (budget reductions) so we'll have to schlep our own stuff to the dump. Things that aren't garage sale-able (broken, non-working, etc.) and we don't want to keep them anymore.

Next is to actually have the garage sale we keep finding stuff to sell during! Hopefully the first or second weekend in October, before the rain arrives. And then committing that whatever doesn't sell has to GO. I'd love to actually get a car or two in our garage -

I am off on Monday! Believe it or not! I already have that 'kletchy' feeling in my stomach about being out of the office for a day - but I can do this! I can stay home on a day when others are working! I plan to take a bike ride....and keep tidying up stuff. And I have a doctor's appointment in Stockton so I will cruise into Trader Joe's for a few things. It will be fun. And I will be OFF!!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...