Sunday, August 07, 2011

Peace

In May, I was making plans to meet my amazing Aunt M. in Ventura. She is out on this coast to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Great Peace March for Global Nuclear Disarmament of 1986. My aunt was a part of that event - I was 25 years old and had just moved into my second apartment. I didn't know it when she set out on the march but by the time the march ended, I was relocated up to Northern California and heading into my 'now' life - leaving everyone I knew and relocating up here - and eventually, meeting J....

I had so wanted to go to Ventura to see her - it's not often she's out this way (she lives in Massachusetts). I planned the weekend carefully - and it seemed do-able. But somehow, I sort of forgot that this coming week is the first official week back for administrators - and trying to get to/from Ventura via car and back in time for meetings first thing Monday morning (plus accommodating a commitment I had this morning that I couldn't change) became impossible. I am so sorry to have missed seeing her.

Last night, I did a Google search on the event - just to see if there was any coverage....and there she was! Front and center in a newspaper picture! She's the lady in the light blue shirt, dark glasses and a visor. That's her!! Listening, observing and I'm sure remembering all about their trek.

I don't think I could ever be so brave to give up everything I know as 'my life' at any point in time and decide that I want to walk across America to show my desire for the world to disarm and stop using nuclear weapons. And that's what she did - she picked up and walked. It was an amazing thing to do - and at the time, it was so stunning for all of us. There was no Internet for emails or blogs. No cell phones making calling easy. No way to keep in touch. And she was hugely missed.....and yet, we were all so incredibly proud of her. I can't imagine doing what she did. I've always admired her for it - such a meaningful, BIG way to confirm what you strongly feel about something.

She has always been an amazing person and is the light of so many people's lives. She's one of the people I feel closest to on this earth - and we are always able to pick up right where we left off. She's living an amazing life....



No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...