Friday, August 12, 2011

Beautiful Things

Humming the Gungor song 'Beautiful Things' as I type....

Here are wonderfully nice, fun things that happened today - making an ordinary Friday extraordinary.....
  1. Started the day with a Facebook chat with my sweet cousin S. I love starting out the day 'talking' to her. We both type furiously trying to get the keys to keep up with our thoughts. It's always fun and such a lift. She mentioned that she loved my recent 'Economist" post. She gave me hope by telling me that another family member - a multi-generational die-hard right wing Republican - is moving more towards the left every day. So if that family member feels that way, I know it's possible there are many more out there that are as sick of all the crap as other Democrats are. So it was a smidgen of hope. And tons of fun. Wishing I didn't have to get ready for work 'cuz I'd rather just chat with her -
  2. Heading downstairs after showering, I see R. in the kitchen. 'Morning, ma'am', he says. He calls me 'ma'am'. I kind of like it. He's very 'military'. I say how good it is to hear that one of the boys is in the shower and he replies 'yes ma'am and one of them is about to get ice cold water poured on them'. Alrighty then - I left him to it. Sure enough, shortly after there were some loud yelps from upstairs. Cold water works!
  3. I went to my office and then remembered 'Starbucks opens today!'. So I picked up my co-worker/friend and we headed to the brand new store - expecting it to be mobbed! But it was a 'soft' opening so it's not too well known (yet) that it's open. So excited....
  4. While in Starbucks, my friend ran into other friends she knows - long time district employees. I've heard their names dozens of times over the years but never connected their names with faces. My friend introduced me - and I said how glad I was to finally meet them and offered my hand to shake theirs - and this teacher who I really don't know said 'oh, no - that's not enough' and proceeded to give me the biggest hug! It was so unexpected and sweet - what a nice way to start the day - and start a new school year. She said she was so glad to finally meet me - how nice!
  5. Our welcome back breakfast was loads of fun - our Superintendent gave a great presentation and at one point, the person sitting behind me got the giggles so much, she couldn't stop laughing. And before we knew it, our entire table was laughing so hard we were crying..prompting our Superintendent (my boss) to say 'hey, Majah, are you OK back there?'....which only made us laugh even more. His presentation was hysterical.....
  6. I sat with a group of folks I technically supervise - I supervise their manager - and enjoyed getting to know them. They were sharing family pictures and talking about their summers and it was so nice to enjoy spending time with them. I need to do that more often. We are such a great district and are blessed with so many incredibly dedicated employees...it's such a great place to work. I felt blessed - like I do every day - but more so today. Laughter and friends is a good mix...
  7. I worked at home last night, putting together a presentation for our board meeting. I felt pretty good about it - but wanted my boss to review it just to be sure. Presenting massive amounts of very detailed, technical information is always a challenge - and two sets of eyes are always better than one. And he was so complimentary - said it was a really great presentation. He had only a couple things to talk through - no changes, really - but just talking things through with him helped me see where I could clarify some things a little more. I got it done in plenty of time and didn't feel rushed - and was done with my to-do list 'board prep' item with plenty of hours left in the day. I appreciate having a boss who is so supportive and complimentary - but the thing I appreciate the most is how it feels like we are a team. I'm not alone in this job - we're a team. That has made such a difference in my job satisfaction and 'happiness' quotient. Don't we all just want to do good, meaningful work with people we enjoy working with? Having a boss that is so willing to be a part of the process of sharing all this information with our 'audience' (staff, parents, etc.) is such a great change in my work world.
  8. I used my morning Starbucks receipt to enjoy my Friday afternoon treat - for about a month, now, I treat myself to a Lite Caramel Frappucino. It was AWESOME not having to drive across town to get one - and I it only cost me $2 with the treat receipt. I bought J. one, too...
  9. J. and I enjoyed a nice dinner out - Japanese. He had purchased the little cable to allow me to plug in my iPhone/iPod into my radio - so we listened to my songs on the way to/from.
  10. But that's not the best part....this morning (it's now Saturday evening and I'm putting the finishing touches on this long post of nothings - but all things that made me happy), my iPod is apparently permanently connected. As long as the phone is on and in my purse, my iPod will play without being connected. It's like magic....in the car!
  11. B. cleaned out his car from stem to stern...and left me a massive amount of change for our fun money coin collection! I love it when the kids give me their change....
  12. I worked today (Saturday) which isn't really normally something 'happy'. But it worked out ok 'cuz J. went to San Leandro to visit his brother and he ran a couple errands on the way to/from. So I went in and worked a full day - kept thinking I'd leave but was making such progress on year-end, I didn't want to stop! Huge stuff done including many of the 'hardest' things that I usually put off until the bitter end. But we're still a couple weeks away from my drop-dead date and I'm doing pretty well on getting things done little by little. I'm going to work a bit tomorrow, too....just 'cuz I'm in that 'mode' and want to just keep going.

Time to head to bed. I am tired and while I will sleep in tomorrow, I want to get up and get to work so I can hopefully have the afternoon at home. Even if I end up working at home.

I'm off on Monday for a quick medical thing - it's the every five year torture of a colonoscopy. It sucks but I'll survive it. Tomorrow is the liquid only diet day - broths, yellow jello, clear fruit juices....it will be hard but I'll make it. The worst part is the procedure itself isn't until noon-ish on Monday - and I will be shaking for sure from lack of food. Bummer! I hate that - but hopefully home by 3ish or so and then food and sleep. I don't like doing the prep - but I want to live. So it seems a fair trade off. The polyp they removed during my very first colonoscopy 10 years ago would be cancer by now if it hadn't been found and removed. This procedure could save your life - so if you are over 50 and haven't had one, DO IT NOW. Seriously. Don't delay.

One more thing that's on the 'happy things that have happened' - Harry Potter is on tonight!! It's been a movie a week every Saturday on ABC and it's so fun to watch them all again!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...