Friday, December 31, 2010

Quiet

We will be ringing in the New Year at home this year - the annual party is not happening this year. Not sure exactly why and of course, won't pry. Last year, several couples were absent, having split sometime during the year. Other couples were present but with only one person attending - also because of a split. Since the theme of the party is playing games in teams, perhaps the numbers just weren't working out. That's OK. I honestly was sort of thinking an 'at home' New Year celebration would be nice - the only problem being my inability to stay awake. But I will, somehow.

So we're planning our own appetizers and beverages. And some kind of dinner - home made cheese enchiladas sound yummy! Possibly deciding to have some kind of 'film' marathon - Twilight series or possibly Harry Potter? Will spend the evening enjoying the company of those I most treasure - though admittedly, we have no idea what the plans are of either Son #1 or Son #2....and #2's plans will be carefully defined and crafted because we don't want him ringing in the New Year in any way that sets him back on his road to recovery.

Today will be a few errands, some work (real work), etc. The weather is clear but cold and there are a million things to do outside that a clear, sunny day makes possible. Now I just need the inertia to actually make them a reality.

I'm also going to make home made whole wheat bread today! Have not tried bread yet in my journey of mastering yeast. I did make foccacia bread the other night but sadly, the water was not warm enough so the yeast was sort of 'flat'. Still tasted good - just not as 'puffy' as foccacia usually is. Another try another night. It's really satisfying to be making Italian and know I can whip up our own 'bread' or bread sticks to go with the meal. And my Kitchen Aid mixer is really getting some good work outs, which is great - it's sure a great machine.

It's already 10 (I've only been up for an hour. I did wake up at 7 today - but it's still DARK at 7 and I just couldn't get myself to get out of bed....two hours later, it was time. Monday is going to suck....big time). I'd better get going - long lists on my sticky note screen of things to do, places to go, etc.

Happy New Year and wishing you all the best in 2011! It's going to be a great year - of that, I'm sure!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...