Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter

I've started to write a million times....of nothing in particular....just the day to day stuff. And then I think 'why would anyone want to read this drivel of no importance'...so I stop writing. I probably have 2-3 drafts saved - and who knows if any will ever get actually on the blog? Nothing in particular. Not much to say these days.

We are officially on Spring Break - through a week from tonight. I love this Sunday - the Sunday before a week off! It's the best feeling to have seven days of time off stretching in front of you.

And perhaps my mood is somewhat due to realizing that I really don't have seven days in front of me because for some strange reason, I feel compelled to work. I didn't plan to...didn't really think I needed to. But the truth is, I ALWAYS need to. And that feeling - that never-ending, constantly behind with a zillion things to do - completely bums me out. It pisses me off. Yet I know it is what it is. It's what I'm paid (well) for. And so I will probably go in for a bit - a couple 1/2 days possibly.

Which is perfectly fine because B. is working most days this week...so it's not like we're going anywhere anyway.

We had a lovely Easter dinner of prime rib, green bean casserole, au gratin potatoes, and Yorkshire pudding. Cherry cheesecake for dessert shortly. Prime rib is becoming my 'go-to' holiday meal and this one was particularly fantastic. It was perfectly cooked - not too done, not too rare. It was fantastic!

Sadly, I was not able to make it to the long-awaited Michael W. Smith and Steven Curtis Chapman concert. Our Board of Trustees held a special meeting to announce our new Superintendent - and I felt being there was more important than going to the concert. My friend J. tried to find someone to go with her, but she couldn't. I tried to give the tickets away to people from church - but no one was able to take them since it was on Maundy Thursday and most were involved with performances at the church. So they went unused. I was disappointed - mainly for my friend J. who also ended up missing the show - but I was very glad I went to the meeting. Our new Superintendent is really great and I was glad to be there since not all administrators showed up. It was an 'extra' meeting and many already had plans. It was a great meeting and I felt I'd made the right decision. Thanks to my friend J. for being so understanding about my schedule conflict. I was sorry to miss the show but I know it was the right thing to do. This new Sup will (hopefully) be with our district for a very long time and it was an important day in our district's history. He will probably be the Sup through my retirement....and I'll know I was there the night he was officially confirmed as the new Sup.

There will be a lot of changes in the next year or so...and change is always hard. I think I'm bracing myself for that - we are implementing a new finance system and the amount of work involved in that over the next year is a bit overwhelming. That's probably where the feeling of 'needing to work' all the time comes from. There are always so many things to do...and most of the time, I handle that really well...but sometimes, I don't. Sometimes, I just want a JOB - just a job. Not an all-consuming, non-stop, 50+ hours per week job - just a regular job. I'm starting to think that perhaps I will retire 'early', take my state pension and then supplement my income with something less stressful. We'll see.

I did commit to making this next week as productive as I possibly can - still time for down-time but trying to accomplish some stuff that's been on the to-do list for a long time. Today, I tackled cleaning up 'my' room - the room where all my clothes are. I'm culling out clothes - admitting to myself that some of the sizes I've been keeping for 'when I get down to size --' aren't going to be sizes I will ever wear again. Time to just get rid of it. I've made a dent and will continue to work on it throughout the week, a little each day.

Oh, and of course, there's taxes due. I'm close to being 'done'....and we owe. No surprise there. We always owe. If we didn't have an amount due, I'd be pretty sure I'd done something wrong.

Also on the list is planting some vegetables in the back yard, working on yard work front and back and culling out the garage.

OH, and we made an offer on a car for H. and 'lo and behold, the guy selling it doesn't seem to 'anxious' to close the deal. We made an offer - a fair offer but not the guy's asking price - and instead of countering, he said 'I'll think about it and call you back'. It's sort of made me think the guys a jerk - and now I'm not inclined to buy the car from him, though it's a great price and H. likes it. So it's hard to understand how you can have a car for sale, get an offer on the car (after the prospective owners have spent their own money to have it checked out by a mechanic) and then not be ready to close the deal?? I don't get that. When we sold the van and had a serious offer, we dropped everything to make it happen. This car has been parked in my work parking lot with 'For Sale' signs on it for over two months - you'd think he'd be ready to get it sold? And the difference between what he's hoping to get and we're willing to offer is a few hundred bucks...not thousands. I can't figure it out.

I'm ready to tell J. (in fact, J., consider this a conversation, sweets) that I think we'd better chalk up the expense to 'lesson learned' and start looking for something else. I'm not sure what's up with the guy but I can't imagine keeping someone waiting days for a response to an offer on a used car. It doesn't make sense to me...and something's not right about it.

Happy Easter - celebrate the fact of Jesus giving his life so we would have eternal life. Celebrate his all-encompassing love for us. Celebrate him rising from the tomb. I love Christmas and have all my life - but I'm starting to really enjoy Easter more. It's such a meaningful, faith-filled holiday and isn't quite as 'commercial' as Christmas. I love that about it - it's simpler. More reflective. Less busy.

It was a lovely day - with family and relaxation and good food.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...