Sunday, April 05, 2009

B.'s Senior Prom

Here's a pic of B. in his tux:


It's black with grey pinstripe. Red tie. His date's dress was red, to the floor. They looked smashing together. J. took dozens of pics of the 18 couples that rode on the party bus together. It was an exciting night - one of the boys (the lead singer in B.'s band, coincidentally), was doing pull ups or something from the 'moon roof' of the van and cut his hands pretty severely. Apparently an ambulance was called to transport him to the hospital. Upon being stitched up (both hands from what we've heard), the bus picked him up again on the way back from dinner and he and his date made it to the actual dance and the 'after-dance party'. B. arrived home this morning around 10ish. Glad the kid is alright though I imagine there's more to the story then we are hearing...but perhaps it's better I not know.

B. also told J. that he visited a Marine Corp recruiter at the college fair at school this week. He also stopped by a Las Positas College statement and said the 'recruiter' from LPC remembered me. I asked J. 'is he enlisting?' He said 'probably not but he is still considering it'. And for the first time ever, I thought to myself 'that really would be a good idea'.

He wants to get away from home. I'd welcome him getting away from home. I am sort of seriously dreading two more years of him being home - and I know I shouldn't say that, but that's how I feel. This is not something I am 'thrilled about' - this having him home two more years. And I'm starting to think that time in the military - where he will learn that the 'Land of B.' exists only in his imagination - where he will learn that doing what is expected and what you are told to do when you're told to do it is mandatory - would be a good thing. A little discipline that isn't being handed out by his parents might be a good thing.

I would be fine with him enlisting. I never imagined in a million years that I'd say that. But I also never imagined that my son who graduated 3rd in his elementary school class would now be managing D's and F's as a regular part of his school work. I don't know why this change happened - but it has happened. And perhaps him taking a break from school and being a soldier for a few years wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Ditto for his brother.

Wow. I can't believe I'm thinking this.......but I am.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...