Monday, August 04, 2008

Strangers

I just had a phone conversation with my cousin in Edmond, OK. This is the cousin that I've begun to get to know through her blog. And she's begun to know me through mine. I read her posts and it's like 'she's me, living in an alternate time zone - same life, same issues. She's me'. It's been the weirdest feeling - the things we've shared via emails and our blogs - this strange way of getting to know each other. We never met as children. Isn't that odd? Her dad was divorced from her mom. Her dad is my mom's youngest brother. I never met him - well, I think I met him when I was a baby but that's family lore and I don't remember it.

We are strangers that happen to be family. I felt strange calling her - but I'm here alone in the house and I need a voice. A friendly voice. She fulfilled that. She sounds just like I thought she'd sound - happy, cheery, positive. And possibly a bit surprised to be getting a phone call from me at 9PM on a Monday. Can't blame her for that. It surprised me when I felt the urge to call...and I accepted the urge and did a 411.com.

We chatted briefly about our circumstances - her most recent blog post mirrored the sentiments of mine - and promised to try to cheer each other on as we attempt to lose some weight. Across the miles.

It was a 'first conversation' - not sure what to say. Not sure where to start - or stop. But it was a start. And I hope she will want to be 'connected' in all medias - phone, email, etc. She is like a mirror me, living two time zones away. You can never have too many friends....and family friends are among the best kind.

Hang in there, D. I'll do the same. When you get discouraged, email me. Or call. Just get in touch. We're at the same point in so many parts of our lives. Well, except for the 'you love your job and me, not so much.....' parts. Oh, and the 'you've already survived the teenage years and are now enjoying time with hubby alone...' which feels like it's nowhere in sight for me. Other than that, we're leading parallel lives....

Hugs,

Majah

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...