Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Murphy

Good ol' Murphy's law has hit with a vengeance this week. This is positively, without a doubt the most hectic, busy, stressed-out time for my job. And wouldn't you know it: the car that was ordered 8 weeks ago arrived today - and so we're wedging in time tomorrow evening to get to the dealership and (most likely) buy a car. A 2009 Hybrid Mariner. Ordered to my specifications - and I know I'm going to fall in love with it and buy it. The van has 96,000 miles on it and is a van. I bought the van when my kids were in their 'tweens'. Hauling them, their friends, soccer gear, etc. was impossible in a VW Beetle. So we bought the van. But I really never embraced being a mini-van mom. I tried - Lord knows, I tried. So I'll be retiring from van-dom and driving a small-ish SUV that gets terrific mileage.

I have to admit that I have never owned an American car. My mom drove Chevy's all her life - and the fact that my Mariner almost was a Ford Escape Hybrid would have turned her stomach. I really wasn't looking for a car but I asked the owner of our Ford Dealership (who is a fellow Lion) if he had any on the lot. The next thing I knew, he was asking me what I wanted on it - and he ordered it - on 'spec' saying 'if you don't want it, we won't have any trouble selling it'. But this was right at the time Ford had announced it was scaling back production of all Ford trucks and SUVs. So he ordered a Mercury thinking he could get that faster. I was secretly relieved - a Mercury, I can live with - even though I know, underneath, it is a Ford. Isn't it funny how what you grew up with becomes what you 'accept'? I would never buy a Ford. Never. Because my mom drove Chevy's. [And I know you're in heaven, Mom, and you're going to know - so I'm just reinforcing - it's A MERCURY....'kay?]

Only, just like when I realized 'hey, I am NOT a Republican', I also embraced 'and I can drive whatever damn car I please, thank you very much'. So that's how I am probably going to buy an American made car tomorrow. And be happy about it. True, I wanted the Toyota Highlander Hybrid - but for $35-40K, I'll pass. I'm getting everything I want and saving $10-15K - I can live with that.

We are all adjusting to the 'back to school' schedule. I do have to say, publicly, that so far, the boys are managing rather well. Homework is done. Notebooks appear organized. They are up in plenty of time in the morning and out the door without too much mayhem and madness. But, this IS only the 2nd week... so a lot can happen between now and June. Let's just say 'nothing bad has happened yet' and leave it at that for now. The leCube gets a pretty good workout in the morning making 3-4 double shot lattes for me and the boys - and J., on occasion, though he's back to brewing a small pot of coffee for himself in the morning. The leCube has that 'jolt' that the kids and I need to get movin' in the mornings. What can I say - they take after their mother on that front.

I am pretty busy at work (that's putting it mildly) and it's a bit of a crazy time. It will pass, as most craziness does. I go in, keep my head down and do my work. Am still grateful for being so close to home - it's just so great to be home in less than 5 minutes and no matter how awful/tough/horrible the day has been, that easy commute helps a lot. And, I'm deeply, truly grateful for my husband. He is a huge support - listening to me attentively when I need to vent. And helping out around here so much - so, SO much. And realizing that I am stressed out....it happens. And I'm not always pleasant, or friendly, or loving. And yet, he hangs in there and deals. Because he loves me...and that is such a blessing.

My sister was telling me how wonderful it is to be in a relationship where there is nothing to hold back. No topic off limits. No feelings to 'moderate' or 'mediate' to suit someone else. No eggshells to maneuver. And I thought 'wow, I've always had that with J'. I really am one incredibly lucky person - that the person I've been with the past soon to be 20 (OH MY GOSH!!)years is my best friend, my 'say anything go-to guy'. I am blessed. And now, so is my sister. She found her prince. Being in love is supposed to be easy. I'm so happy she's found that.

It has been a shock to realize that B. is a SENIOR this year. The list of Senior Activities is huge. Disneyland, Prom, Senior Breakfast, etc. It's happening so fast. I can't get over it, really. This time next year, he probably won't be living here anymore. H. is already planning to 'take his room'. I said 'no, it's his room'. Period. Though he (H.) admits he's going to miss him when he's away at school. I'm really feeling in shock over this phase....how it's actually here and it arrived so incredibly quickly.

Time flies - that's so true. I'm hoping my years heading into retirement go by just as quickly. I'm sure they will -

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...