Sunday, August 31, 2008

Rewind

I am just as shocked as everyone else about who John McCain has chosen to be his running mate. I don't know about you, but I don't think a woman who was 'just a normal hockey Mom' 20 months ago should be second in line to command the most powerful nation in the world. (Are we still the most powerful nation in the world? I'm not sure we are...nor sure we should be if we are...but so be it). Anyhoo, so if anything happens to McCain, she'll be our President. I don't think so, folks. That's just not a risk I think we should be taking.

I don't want McCain to win. Period. And I have a lot of fear about if he wins - if the Republicans remain in office for another 4 or 8 (God forbid) years. Fear. But now, in addition to fearing another 8 years of a war we shouldn't be in; or 8 years of sending troops hither and yon just because we can; or 8 years of an economy spiraling downward into an abyss; etc., now I get to add 'fear of being governed by a hockey mom' to my list.

The rhetoric being spun by the Republicans is already rampant and very well rehearsed. Last night, some guy was commenting on TV and I actually asked J. 'did you just rewind it and replay that segment?'. He said 'no, but you're right - he just said exactly what he said 12 seconds ago, word for word'. It was stunning. They rehearse and rehearse and say it over and over and over. Ridiculous. They appear to have absolutely no free thought whatsoever. Our current President has literally every word out of his mouth scripted - and the current Republican candidates and their pundits are doing the same thing. The spiel is the spiel and we must not deviate from the spiel seems to be their mantra.

Add to that the 'story' about her announcing to her staff that she was 7 months pregnant - they had no idea - and she looked like she just ate a big pasta meal the night before. So, there's some speculation that her 5th child is actually her grandson. It's interesting. I'm waiting for that interesting question to blow up in the press shortly. For now, they are being cautious and careful because it will horribly affect a teenager - and I don't want this woman elected but I, too, draw the line at trashing a teenage girl for no reason. But there are some issues and questions that need to be asked. The 'story' of his birth doesn't make sense in so many ways. So watch for that 'cuz it will surface eventually.

My immediate reaction upon hearing she was the VP candidate was 'crap - what a brilliant move. He'll get all the Hilary supporters votes now'. But now, the more I hear her speak, and the more I learn about her, I think 'no way. She won't gain him any new supporters. And in fact, she just might cause him to lose a few'. She's not VP material. She's a hockey mom, for crying out loud. She's not ready to assume the position of Commander in Chief should something happen to McCain - and hey, no offense to the guy but he's old. Really old.

Vote for Obama/Biden. Please. Think this through. We are in a war we never should have started. WE started it. Because G.W. Bush wanted us to be in a war. That's his legacy. Don't let that be the next president's legacy also. Vote Obama/Biden. The time for change is NOW.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...