Sunday, October 09, 2016

Food!

The Great British Baking Show has reruns of 'Master Classes' - the two judges prepare the recipes the contestants have made.  It's nice to see how the results are supposed to look and to have the experts go through the process.  I'm really excited to try some (all, really - though no idea when I'll have the time) of the recipes - over the holidays sounds like a good time.

So I started the day watching a Master Class which had me starving and now I'm still starving. Facebook is full of food which I shouldn't eat.  I've had breakfast (Cheerios and fresh strawberries - no sugar.  Not even Splenda this morning.  Just plain); two eggs and a piece of whole grain toast for lunch.  Bone broth for a snack.  I'm hydrated and still starving and craving something decadent and taboo.

I've distracted myself cleaning my desk - getting into the corners and dusting where the dust bunnies lurk.  I need to just start tossing stuff - I end up with little bits and pieces of things that maybe I'll need somewhere down the road?  But not likely.  Just the normal 'junk' that ends up in the junk drawer...only my desk here doesn't have a junk drawer.  (Maybe it's 'cuz all the drawers appear to be filled with junk).

We cleared 50 hours off the DVR in preparation for series premiers - new season will fill up the DVR pretty quickly so we're trying to prepare.

J. reminded me that I never heard from the third party vendor that will be supplying me with my glucose meter and supplies.  Guess I will email the doctor to ask about that process.  I'd like to get an idea of where I'm at - especially considering that up until Friday, I'd had zero sugar.

Though I know that it's really not about sugar....it's how my pancreas isn't working the way it should to produce/not produce insulin appropriate to where my blood sugar is.  So no matter how carefully I eat, I will still have high sugar and swings that the medication hopefully modulates - at least tries to.

Learning a lot and we have the first of two nutrition classes this week - trying a class together first and then can still request a one on one with a nutritionist if we need it.

We're eating leftover Frito pie tonight for dinner to avoid wasting it -

This coming Friday, J. and I are planning to head up to Thunder Valley for the evening.  We actually booked a room but it seems likely the better plan is to go up early afternoon (to avoid Friday traffic heading up to the mountains) and then attend the 'event' at 5PM.  Something about offering us a 'free' cruise - we're intrigued enough to want to check it out 'cuz a free vacation (or lower cost cruise, at least) is worth the trip.  We've never done a cruise and friends of ours have and love it.  There's not a ton of gambling budget at the moment - but I'll play small and hope for some big wins - and J. said he's fine not really playing.  We'll have a buffet dinner and a little more play (hopefully) and then head home before it's too late in the evening.  Sleep in our own beds and slide into the weekend.

I think I'll post this and then shut down the computer for awhile while I tackle this side of the desk. Maybe make a trip to OSH for some teeny, tiny storage boxes I saw - for the little things that need a 'place' and can be stashed in a cupboard here.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...